01 Cobra Window Troubles

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
I have a 2001 Cobra convertible and have been having drivers window troubles pretty much since I got the car. Back when I first got it and it messed up and it would just click. I replaced the metal relay twice and that helped and then it didn’t.

After that I thought that window motor so I took it out and it worked in my hand then worked fine for a little bit once I put it back in before clicking again. I finally put a new window motor in it recently and same thing. Then I got a new Ford switch and still clicks.

I don’t know what to do or why it’s messing up, the only thing I’ve found that’s out of sorts is when it messed up and I’d go to take the motor out it seems under tension and like it kept going for a second after the window is all the way up, like over torqued or something.

It’s never a set amount of time between when it stops working either so don’t know what the deal is. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
I have a 2001 Cobra convertible and have been having drivers window troubles pretty much since I got the car. Back when I first got it and it messed up and it would just click. I replaced the metal relay twice and that helped and then it didn’t.

After that I thought that window motor so I took it out and it worked in my hand then worked fine for a little bit once I put it back in before clicking again. I finally put a new window motor in it recently and same thing. Then I got a new Ford switch and still clicks.

I don’t know what to do or why it’s messing up, the only thing I’ve found that’s out of sorts is when it messed up and I’d go to take the motor out it seems under tension and like it kept going for a second after the window is all the way up, like over torqued or something.

It’s never a set amount of time between when it stops working either so don’t know what the deal is. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I don't know exactly what the problem is, but what has always worked for me and others: open the door, press and hold the "Up" switch and slam the door. It works every time.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
It's always under tension when its all the way up, that's how it works. It doesn't stop pushing till you release the button so its tight up against the stops so that is normal. That's why if your stops aren't perfect the door won't close right because it'll push the window too far up in the front or back. Is your regulator operating smoothly? Are your stops/brackets still glued to the window 100% or are they loose at all? The driver's side windows on every single SN95/Edge I've ever owned (and the passenger side window on my old Cobra) has pulled the bracket off the glass because of the shit factory design. A new window from Roackauto or Amazon or wherever with the 1 piece full bottom bracket replacing the OEM window with the 3 single pieces is a perma fix for that issue.

However from reading your post again, what it sounds like is a wiring short somewhere. Which sucks a lot... Maybe go through the harness and see if you can see anything obvious, spray out the connectors with contact cleaner and give that a shot and then go from there if everything else checks out physically.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I don't know exactly what the problem is, but what has always worked for me and others: open the door, press and hold the "Up" switch and slam the door. It works every time.
THIS!!! ford has had issues with the window motors forever. sometimes this fixes it for good, others it is a temp fix till the next time it happens.

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
THIS!!! ford has had issues with the window motors forever. sometimes this fixes it for good, others it is a temp fix till the next time it happens.
Hah, It has always been "till the next time it happens". But it works ("till the next time it happens"). etc, & etc.
Just one of those things that you need to tell your friends when they borrow your Cobra.

Established Member
I put a window motor in it this past summer, I think it may be what scottydsntknow said about a short somewhere. My regulator seems fine, seems tight and works great when it works.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

FIREBALL

Established Member
It's always under tension when its all the way up, that's how it works. It doesn't stop pushing till you release the button so its tight up against the stops so that is normal. The driver's side windows on every single SN95/Edge I've ever owned (and the passenger side window on my old Cobra) has pulled the bracket off the glass because of the shit factory design. A new window from Roackauto or Amazon or wherever with the 1 piece full bottom bracket replacing the OEM window with the 3 single pieces is a perma fix for that issue. .

Always under tension? never heard of that, but my driver side window goes up too far about 1/4" before it stops and stops lowering with the window up above the the window sill about 1/2". Is this the same thing as what you and the O.P. are talking about?

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Pop your door panel off and check the stops/brackets that are glued onto the glass. My money is on they have pulled off the glass like all of them do. The front stop is probably down in the bottom of the door somewhere and the rear stop is what the regulator is attached to and its a godawful design. That's why replacement glass has a redesigned bracket that is all one piece running along the bottom of the glass.

And yes, the window goes up, hits the stops and the motor keeps pushing till you let go of the switch, the stops keep it in the correct place and the tension keeps it tight because there is no door channel for it to ride in.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Maybe that front stop is what I hear occasionally rattle inside the door? Mine stops running but it stops slightly too far up.

Established Member
That’s the thing I have no rattles or noise from what I remember from that door and it all works like it should. Then randomly it’ll just stop working and it’ll just click at the metal fuse under the dash

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread