01 cobra white smoke issues

oxfordsnake

Established Member
Hey guys Im new to this forum, and hope I can get some advice/opinions on something. I've got an 01 cobra and ive had it for about 4 months. It only has 59,000 miles on it. But recently I have noticed, some times when i start it up I will get a cloud of white smoke. Sometimes its pretty noticeable, and other times it barely does it at all. But usually it doesn't do it. Just kinda at random times. But i have noticed it maybe 3 or 4 times while idling and once or twice after running the car kinda hard (reving past about 5500 rpms). But it doesn't always do it. Like i said its not often and just happens randomly..

So, i took her to a local body shop where they did an engine block test and pressure test.. All came back clear. BUT they decided to check my oil level too. I was missing 4 quarts of oil!!!! And have no leaks! I just had the oil "changed" at a local ford dealer a month ago. The shop said theres no way i burnt 4 quarts in a month cause its not running bad and not smoking enough. They hinted that the dealership could have actually forgot to put in oil, or made a mistake. But im no car expert.. They said if its still smoking every now and then that I need to replace my Piston rings and valve seals. Because after running that low on oil, there has to be damage. But the car runs excellent. It runs just as strong and smooth as ever.. But did notice white smoke once sense I had oil added a few days ago. And also, the oil level has stayed constant ever sense with about 100 miles into the new oil. Any opinions or advice as to what I should do? should I go ahead and replace the rings and all that? Or could the white smoke be something simple like running lean? Sorry for writing a book lmao. But any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Miette

Established Member
I had an oil change shop forget to put oil in a Dakota I used to own. That truck smoked really bad after that, but it was old so I kept the money they paid me and just ran it til it died.

I really hope your engine isn't too badly damaged.

oxfordsnake

Established Member
yea i hope there isn't any major damage.. but it runs perfectly fine still. And i don't know if there is any way I can prove that they didn't put oil, or put the right amount of oil in my car. I am going to keep watching the oil level.. So far it is staying constant. But still got a little white smoke today when i started her up. If anyone has ever experienced this, or may know what could be causing this let me know. Thanks

286rocks

Established Member
Mine does this every once in a while too, usually after I run her hard and park shortly after. The motor runs great otherwise with about 60k on it; I'm guessing it is a little bit of oil running through the valve seals. Hopefully you're having the same problem and your rings aren't toasted.

ijt351

Established Member
what did they put in for oil, I am assuming 5w20. ditch that water and go with 5w30. after I switched to mobil1 5w30 most of my start up smoke is gone, and mine only has 70k on the engine. Basically sounds like typical valve seal problem. But it is not an easy job on 32 valve engines. I have done quite a few valve seals on 2 valve motors but yet to do 32 valve motor yet.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Sounds like what happened to mine but you may have caught it in time. I ran my car low on oil for a while and now my engine is at the end of being rebuilt. My car smoked out the back too before it finally gave in and it ran very strong too.

You on the other hand seem to have caught the problem before it got too bad. You may need new seals and such but you wont know unless you tear the engine apart.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR OIL ONCE A WEEK SINCE IT WAS 4 QUARTS LOW
. Ask around this section and others will tell you how quickly these motors burn oil.

oxfordsnake

Established Member
what did they put in for oil, I am assuming 5w20. ditch that water and go with 5w30. after I switched to mobil1 5w30 most of my start up smoke is gone, and mine only has 70k on the engine. Basically sounds like typical valve seal problem. But it is not an easy job on 32 valve engines. I have done quite a few valve seals on 2 valve motors but yet to do 32 valve motor yet.

yea i used 5w20 of course.. So its ok to run 5w30 in the engine even though it calls for 5w20? And if so do you think it could keep the oil from burning as fast?

oxfordsnake

Established Member
Sounds like what happened to mine but you may have caught it in time. I ran my car low on oil for a while and now my engine is at the end of being rebuilt. My car smoked out the back too before it finally gave in and it ran very strong too.

You on the other hand seem to have caught the problem before it got too bad. You may need new seals and such but you wont know unless you tear the engine apart.

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR OIL ONCE A WEEK SINCE IT WAS 4 QUARTS LOW
. Ask around this section and others will tell you how quickly these motors burn oil.

Yea i am really hoping i lucked out and caught it in time. But like you said, i prolly wont know what all i need to repair until i get the engine out which is what i was afraid of. I may have me a nice project on hand for next summer then. And you better believe im checking my oil almost every time I drive it now!!!! And if i Do end up needing new valve seals, anyone know how difficult it is, or where to purchase them?

ijt351

Established Member
yes 5w30 is acceptable. nothing changed in the engines from 2000 to 2001 cars but ford said all cars are 5w20. it is for CAFE reasons for better gas mileage. it won't stop oil consumption but will help reduce it. You can get valve seals from either Ford or from fel-pro probably from any parts store. they can be done on the car no problem, just pull the valve covers have a air compressor and the right tools for the valve springs. it's tedious as hell but you can upgrade your valve springs at the same time if you feel like it.

Users who are viewing this thread