01 Cobra w/Vortech oil recommendations?

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
Since after my rebuild, I've been using Joe Gibbs break in oil and then just conventional oil, per my builders request. I haven't even put on 3000 miles since my rebuild - 2 years ago - but I've changed the oil several times and am now considering what oil I should use once I'm ready for my next oil change.

The previous owner was using Mobil 1, so I just continued using that, but now that everything is fresh and new, I really want to ensure I'm using the best oil for my application.

The car is an Iowa, only driven during the summer car. It has a Vortech S/C and the oil pan is tapped so each oil change changes super charger oil as well. I just want to make sure I'm using an oil that is good for the supercharger. The car is not raced, but sometimes driven spiritedly.

What I'd like to know is what type of oil I should be running. What brand, what weight and viscocity, conventional or synthetic? And I don't have a manual anymore, so is it 5 quarts or 6 -- I've been hearing both.

Last edited:

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
I run Mobil 1 10w30 in my 01 Cobra with a V2 T-Trim. I have a Moroso race oil pan though so I'm using almost 8 full quarts.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I store it during the winter. I usually get it out in spring jacket weather and put it away when fall coats don't do it anymore. So it probably sees anywhere from 60-100 degree weather, and I only usually get about 2000-3000 miles on it in a year, so I don't typically change it halfway through the season and just do one change at the start.

01Stroker - That's what I was one running (Mobil1 10w30), but then I read Vortech recommends only conventional oil be used, and also to go with 5w-20 because it's better for the supercharger. Most of this information I read off on another MustangForum that seemed to be filled with a bunch of goobers who also thought "Fram filters are okay for the price", which is why I decided to come and just ask here. Google search just wasn't cutting it, but some of the answers were enough to put doubt in my mind.

Last edited:

omj

Established Member
If you are ordering your lube, Amsoil ATM 10W-30 or Royal Purple 10W-30 HPS

If you are buying off the shelf, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30

Why is ATM 10w30 preferred over 5w30 signature series (what I use currently)?
If you have factory Cobra oil pan, 7qts is the amount of oil I recomend.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I've been running Amsoil SS 10W30 in my car for a while now. I used to use RP 5W30.. All my Vortech has ever seen is Synthetic, and 5w30 or 10w30, and there is no issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread