01 CObra vs. Sullivan intake comparo

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Has anyone done or seen some HP and TQ #'s between the two?

Im in the process of getting my parts list, and Ive been considering intake options.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Was a good article a few months back that MM&FF did on various intakes given the same type of application. The 01 intake did fairly well..it all depends on where you want your power band etc..they each have their advantages. I'm satisfied with my 01 Cobra intake.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Was a good article a few months back that MM&FF did on various intakes given the same type of application. The 01 intake did fairly well..it all depends on where you want your power band etc..they each have their advantages. I'm satisfied with my 01 Cobra intake.

Ill look that up, anyone else

Blown02

Established Member
I made 815rwhp with my old setup.. 8.5:1 forged sb, completely stock 01 top end.. it made 815rwhp@23psi, couldve gone 850rwhp@23psi.. sullivan is on my new setup which is totally different, but thought i would tell ya my old #s with the stock 01 intake.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
im looking into this aswell. Dont know what to do.

Mine made 745/748 w/ 19psi on 93 w/ a ported 01 intake and stock t/b w/ 57's...

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
My sullivan setup is a pig below 3500, but that could be for a lot of reasons as it's not tuned yet. I drove my buddys Hellion cobra with an 01 intake and he's got a LOT more low end throttle response/grunt than mine does, but his is tuned.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
The Sullivan will cost you more (and possible hood clearance), the lower and upper will be just under a grand and you can get an 01 upper and lower for around 400 or so. I personally think the 01's look better than the Sullivan. You can get the 01 and have all your piping and intake coated for the price of the Sullivan.

I would like to know if the Sullivan actually give you more power under the curve as well.

Blown02

Established Member
The Sullivan will cost you more (and possible hood clearance), the lower and upper will be just under a grand and you can get an 01 upper and lower for around 400 or so. I personally think the 01's look better than the Sullivan. You can get the 01 and have all your piping and intake coated for the price of the Sullivan.

I would like to know if the Sullivan actually give you more power under the curve as well.
Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe the sullivan setup is around $1,200. Not only do u need the upper and lower intake, but u also need the sullivan rails to match. I think u need a new alternator and some other things too.

Another solution is to get the sullivan lower and sheetmetal hpp upper.. I bought the sullivan 5.4 lower for $600 shipped, new, and I found a member selling the sheetmetal upper for 250 shipped, then I got a set of new sullivan fuel rails for $180 shipped, but then had them modified for FRPS for like $130 or so.

Have yall heard of buster? Hes over on modfords.. running a stock longblock@33psi running 8s.. anyways, hes switchin from the 01 intake to the sullivan setup because it was smokin #7 and #8 cylinders..
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112267

Blown02

Established Member
My sullivan setup is a pig below 3500, but that could be for a lot of reasons as it's not tuned yet. I drove my buddys Hellion cobra with an 01 intake and he's got a LOT more low end throttle response/grunt than mine does, but his is tuned.
Itll be interesting to see if you have as much lag after u get the tune.. I venture to say that you will have quite a bit of lag because you are probably running T3T4 housing 67s with a 281".. with a manual trans on the street, it should lag. Good luck!
You could probably find someone on the turbo forum on modfords that will trade u some 61s or 57s for those 67s..

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe the sullivan setup is around $1,200. Not only do u need the upper and lower intake, but u also need the sullivan rails to match. I think u need a new alternator and some other things too.

Another solution is to get the sullivan lower and sheetmetal hpp upper.. I bought the sullivan 5.4 lower for $600 shipped, new, and I found a member selling the sheetmetal upper for 250 shipped, then I got a set of new sullivan fuel rails for $180 shipped, but then had them modified for FRPS for like $130 or so.

Have yall heard of buster? Hes over on modfords.. running a stock longblock@33psi running 8s.. anyways, hes switchin from the 01 intake to the sullivan setup because it was smokin #7 and #8 cylinders..
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112267

I think the issue he is having is due to the crazy amount of boost he's running...that thrown in with the longer runner design on the 01 intake = problems :(

I guess it depends on what your goals are I guess.

Blown02

Established Member
I think the issue he is having is due to the crazy amount of boost he's running...that thrown in with the longer runner design on the 01 intake = problems :(

I guess it depends on what your goals are I guess.
ya, I think the long runners become a bottle neck in a high hp application, however, I am not sure as to what the exact horsepower mark is where the pros out weigh the cons for the sullivan intake.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Hopefully i'm safe once i get bigger injector's etc..I should be close to 900 on c16. He's running significantly more boost than I am.

Blown02

Established Member
Hopefully i'm safe once i get bigger injector's etc..I should be close to 900 on c16. He's running significantly more boost than I am.
ya but if u plan to make 900rwhp, ur gonna have to run more boost, and u r already at 26psi..
I wouldnt test the stock shortblock too much.. even if the shortblock survives multiple pulls/etc. at that kinda boost level, im sure ur stock head studs wont like it too much.. if u lift a head/blow a headgasket the motor has to come out, plan on spending 1500+ just for replacing a $180 headgasket.
:beer:

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
IMO, not really...my a/f was 10.1 on c16 and I had a pipe blow off towards the end of the run...perhaps not 900 but 875 or so. Tim said there was plenty left in the same tune at the same boost lvl's, he just wanted to keep it safe for me since I was out of injector (which i plan on fixing regardless and upgrade to 75lbers. I'm not gonna push the car that hard regardless so I guess it's irrelevant...A dyno # is just that hehe.

Last edited:

Blown02

Established Member
IMO, not really...my a/f was 10.1 on c16 and I had a pipe blow off towards the end of the run...perhaps not 900 but 875 or so. Tim said there was plenty left in the same tune at the same boost lvl's, he just wanted to keep it safe for me since I was out of injector (which i plan on fixing regardless and upgrade to 75lbers. I'm not gonna push the car that hard regardless so I guess it's irrelevant...A dyno # is just that hehe.
ya I hear ya, I was just making sure u know everything before u go spend thousands in getting another 100rwhp.. 26psi is a good bit of psi.. my car blew a headgasket with 23psi, and I did have ARP head studs.. im sure u can get more out of it at the same psi, but again, do u want to risk $5+k..every high hp tune I have got from tim has been in the 10s af wise..
good luck man!

Last edited:

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
I'm not risking it..was more just a statement haha :) I'm content with the car as it is now..it's a blast to drive and more than enough power.

Mach1Marauder

Banned
With ported heads and turbo cams, the Sullivan will have more under the curve and will have NO distribution problems.
The HPP sheetmetal upper is the easiest way to keep the stock hood with the Sully. Other wise you really need to relocate the IAC and change alternator.
I'm not worried about hood clearance with my setup! LOL!
Old pic
DSC00478.gif

Users who are viewing this thread