01 Cobra vs 06 GTO

NoahConstrictor

Established Member
On the way the freeway yesterday evening, running about 75 mph in my cobra, and a red GTO comes flying up behind me. The cobra is a few hundred miles into it’s second oil change post engine rebuild and this is the first chance I’ve had to really push it. Full exhaust/bolt on, 10:1 comp, tune, etc, stock gears. I waited for traffic to clear and got over one lane and he gave me a good old fashioned ricer fly by. I laid into it through third, and was within a couple car lengths before shifting into fourth. I pulled the nose past him at 140 mph, and decided that was all I needed and slowed down. He never let off and I’ll assume he was in the neighborhood of 160 mph when I lost sight of him. I’m guessing I’m probably at or around 330whp, so is it safe to assume the Pontiac was stock short of exhaust? I’d imagine he still had a small power advantage, but is at least 500 lbs heavier.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Nice work. I ran a stock auto LS2 GTO with 2 kids in it with my old 96 Cobra 'vert. My car had stock gears and a few bolt ons. I walked away a few times on a 40 roll but everytime we would go higher than 60 he would pull ahead. I believe your story! :)

My car dynoed 270whp/270wtq btw

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
Not bashing OP but it amazes me people consider GTO’s quick...

A Auto LS2 05/06 Goat is a mid to high 13 sec car...

Realistically when has anyone ever seen a fast GTO of that body style?

All the ones I’ve seen that make good power can’t get out of the low 11’s/high 10’s lol that platform is trash

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member

All the ones I’ve seen that make good power can’t get out of the low 11’s/high 10’s lol that platform is trash

Back in thier day they were lol

Now not so much...cool cars though, I'd love to find a M6 GTO for a daily

Yes I have seen a few fast GTO of that body style...one had a single turbo 408 and the other was a bottle fed 383 with all the other goodies

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member

I hung with one in my old NPI 3.73 geared 2v. A4 LS2 GTO's were really slow for what they were in my opinion.

TheBorkinator

Established Member

Glad someone said it. Everyone on this forum seems to think those cars are crazy fast and theyre just straight up not.

NoahConstrictor

Established Member
I wouldn't necessarily consider an 01 cobra all that fast either, so comparatively, it's a pretty quick car. Especially considering it wasn't from a dig.
I'd like to go ahead and put 4.10's in the car, but I'm not certain that I'd stick with that once it's boosted.

Rambro

Established Member
Keep in mind that most modern auto cars really wake up with a tune. Lots of torque management in the LS cars with the factory tune.

Users who are viewing this thread