01 cobra VS 05 gt

duece

Established Member
I went to the ford racing invatation at the kentucky speedway this morning and test drove a new (black)gt.They let us beat on them pretty good and I thought I would tell you guys how they compare to our cobras (99,01).It had decent low end tourqe and the shifter was sloppy yet not as bad as my 01 stock shifter.It was easy to break the wheels loose in second gear,the interior was sweet and the space likable.I will not be trading my cobra in on one it was an improvement over my old 99 gt but not as fun as my cobra.The exhaust sounded like my 01 stock which is better than previous gt models.I dont like plastic intake parts and the wheels and tires are awfull on them.I know my cobra is not stock but a 01 stock cobra would own the new gt the power(300hp)seamed to me to be in the middle of the power band and not violent enough,guess I like 4,000-7,000 rpms in my 01 to sum it all up it is a great looking(-WHEELS)fun car and for the base price at 26,000+ deffinatly ford accomplished their goal and will keep our cars on the market but for me my 01 will be around untill at least the next generation cobra is out....just my two cents.:rockon:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I will leave it at this...Last night I saw a black 05 GT 5 speed run at the track. He was driving pretty decent and ran a 14.7@98mph.

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
yea, i just went at looked at Red '05 Auto at my local dealershiop and didnt care for it too much, i like my white gauges thank you very much!:) IMHO, the front bumper sticks a little too far, and all the platic in the engine. just my .02C

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
After all the luster is gone from it, it will probably need a makeover sooner than usual. I think the look is too trendy. I've seen a few pics of the last bodystyle (like ours) next to the new Mustang and only then does reality slap me across the face and say 'hey, your car looks better.' I saw a yellow GT just the other day and it was ugly IMO. Too bright, too blocky and the rear end looks kinda girly to me.
Mechanically, its a real breakthrough, but there ain't no way I'd want one of these GTs over a limited production 01 Cobra.

duece

Established Member
The one I drove did'nt feel like it had 13.5 in it felt more like my 99 gt with a cold air and exhaust a 14.0-14.5 just my 2 cents ......it was a five speed also

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I think Motor Trend did a dyno on the GT they tested and the automatic made 267rwhp, which isn't too far behind a stock 99/01 Cobra. Of course, there is some question about whether or not Motor Trend got a ringer or not.
One guy over on the Corral pre-ordered a 05 GT with the automatic and he said it was a very nice car except it was sort of doggish in acceleration. The only thing I can think of is either Ford is padding the numbers, there is a problem with some of the GT engines or there may be some sort of electronic restraint built into the engines until a sufficient break-in period like the Hemis are said to have.

99SERPENT

this isn't good
Established Member
I have been seeing all kinds of mixed reviews just like you guys about the new Mustang. I had found this article about 2 or 3 weeks ago and found it to be a little too close to the 99/01 Cobra problem.

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2004/plants/engines.defective07sept04.htm

Now who knows, this could be a crock or it could be attributing to the perormance levels of some of the 05 Mustangs. :shrug:

xspeed02

Established Member
I saw one on the street yesterday, at a distance it looked like an old Mustang so in that respect I think they accomplished their goal. I still prefer the look of ours over the new ones though...

tyronejenkinsII

Established Member
just wait until the end of 05' when you see these new stangs on the road everywhere and that will make our cobras that much more of a rare find. I like not seeing 99 and 01's that much. people don't look at it and think their a dime a dozen unlike an 05'

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
Motor trend did a full out test on the new 05 GT's, the best they ran was a 13.6 1/4 mile at 99MPH. 0-60 of 5.1 seconds.

99SVTSnake

Established Member
I work at a dealership and get to drive the new mustang GT all the time. I think that it has as much power as my 99 Cobra. It is a lot smoother and quieter also. It does not have the neck snapping power like my car does, but it is fast and would easily believe a 13.5 out of the car. It launched good and does good on the highway. Just my 2 cents.

Rich

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
I like my 01 Cobra more then the 05 GT... so I'm keeping her (and adding a blower, just to be on the safe side) ;-)

Mach0ne351

Established Member
haha i might be going the same direction Mark :)

i was thinking of a kennebell, but i think i might go with ATI or Vortech. i can get either kit at cost, so thats the best way.

-marek

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Originally posted by Mach0ne351
haha i might be going the same direction Mark :)

i was thinking of a kennebell, but i think i might go with ATI or Vortech. i can get either kit at cost, so thats the best way.

-marek

I was going to hold out for a 07 Cobra & trade the 01 in at that time - but there are just too many faster cars out there. I mean, I was OK with the 01 until the other day, when some 4 door Mercedes started pulling on me - and I was in the sweet spot of the power band in third :eek: ! Screw that crap - a 4 door pulling on me again just ain't happenin. So I'll get the Vortech and the intercooler, run about 8 lbs of boost and I'll be good to go ;-) .

Since then, I find myself driving the 03 more often - I gotta score to settle with a certian Mercedes :rockon:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread