01 Cobra turbo

ajnasrah20083

Established Member
Hey guys! I'm new to the mustang world... I drive a 01 'Vert Cobra, it's bone stock besides a JLT intake and a exhaust. I am planning on doing a turbo, just want to know a little more about what's required for 500+hp ( Fuel pump, Etc.). Glad to be on here!

goldenbear

Established Member
What are your plans for this car? Will it be your DD or track car? Either way, you will need quite some stuff. You will need to upgrade your injectors, fuel pump, (might want to upgrade to the 04 cobra gas tank), depending on the pumps and exactly how much hp, you will need a kb boost a pump, a tune, tubular k member, gauges of course, and if you plan on going over the 500 HP mark and driving it aggressively, I would suggest to at least upgrade to a T56 and get some forged internals. These turbo builds get expensive quickly =(. Im doing one myself right now haha. Which turbo kit are you getting?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Read the sticky at the top of this forum for some good info. Figure on at least $10000 minimum to get the turbo kit installed, running and tuned.

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
Read the sticky at the top of this forum for some good info. Figure on at least $10000 minimum to get the turbo kit installed, running and tuned.

Plus forged internals, fuel systen upgrades, and drivetrain parts as they break. (Just not designed for that much power.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
for 500rwhp you'll need forged internals for sure(450 is pushing it already). fuel setup will be like twin gt pump setup and 60lb injectors, but you may be able to get away with twin 03 cobra pumps and 39lb inj. then you'll at least need a clutch, and hope and pray the trans will hold. after this you can install the turbo kit and go get a tune and be happy.

ajnasrah20083

Established Member
Yea, I wasn't looking at spending 10k lol. Might as well get a 04 and put a whipple for 4k and about another 4k for bolt ons and 800hp and maybe another 5-600 on tune.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
just so you know 800rwhp out of a whipple is a pretty serious setup too. even if you leave the motor stock you'll need a big fuel setup and race gas(expensive) or an even bigger fuel setup for e85. not to shoot you down or anything lol. but yeah unfortunately getting an 03/04 can be easier and cheaper more times than not.

01cobrajm

Established Member
Ok lets get serious, I im sitting at 487whp turbo'd.
fuel pump $125
injectors $100 (used #39's)
k-member $600(with all the other goodies)
turbo kit $2300(with everything i needed)
tune $650

total $3775, but I have spent some change on tranny's lol.

ajnasrah20083

Established Member
just so you know 800rwhp out of a whipple is a pretty serious setup too. even if you leave the motor stock you'll need a big fuel setup and race gas(expensive) or an even bigger fuel setup for e85. not to shoot you down or anything lol. but yeah unfortunately getting an 03/04 can be easier and cheaper more times than not.

Lol. I have money, I just like to spend it the right way, I would rather pay 10k in a cobra and get 800rwhp+ then get 500 on a 01 cobra thats also gona take around 10k, I didn't mention, I also have a 04 Z With around 400rwhp Sitting in my garage. ;) That bitch is QUICK!

goldenbear

Established Member
Ok lets get serious, I im sitting at 487whp turbo'd.
fuel pump $125
injectors $100 (used #39's)
k-member $600(with all the other goodies)
turbo kit $2300(with everything i needed)
tune $650

total $3775, but I have spent some change on tranny's lol.
If you want it done right you should get serious buddy. At the end of it all, the build will end up costing much more. That is why upgrading tranny is part of the price, and getting forged internals is too. But for your power level, what you have seems to be working so congrats! but anything above that things start getting more serious :-D

goldenbear

Established Member
Yea, I wasn't looking at spending 10k lol. Might as well get a 04 and put a whipple for 4k and about another 4k for bolt ons and 800hp and maybe another 5-600 on tune.

Well if you have the money for the 04, you should go that route instead =). Just sell your 99/01 and get on the hunt for a terminator and let the fun begin :rockon:

ajnasrah20083

Established Member
I'm guessing its the On3 turbo. They are about that much new.

Are those good? I almost bought one yesterday. I can afford a 04 and I could buy one today, But When it comes to spending 13-15 grand on a car I want it exactly the way I want it, Yellow, black interior, coupe, bone stock.

goldenbear

Established Member
Are those good? I almost bought one yesterday. I can afford a 04 and I could buy one today, But When it comes to spending 13-15 grand on a car I want it exactly the way I want it, Yellow, black interior, coupe, bone stock.

Honestly, I don't know. Ive seen some people have good luck with it and turn out good numbers, and others complain that its just a cheap kit..but of course, the people saying its cheap usually haven't owned one. Right now I am on the fence of either getting that kit or selling the cobra and hopping onto a terminator or 11' GT.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

800hp out of a whipple set up is going to need a built engine too. The stock 03-04 Cobra engine will not last long at that power. Matter of fact not many engines even when built to handle 1000rwhp will last long at power levels like that. Engines making that kind of power need constant maintenance and up keep.

ajnasrah20083

Established Member
800hp out of a whipple set up is going to need a built engine too. The stock 03-04 Cobra engine will not last long at that power. Matter of fact not many engines even when built to handle 1000rwhp will last long at power levels like that. Engines making that kind of power need constant maintenance and up keep.

Yea, like I said above, I would rather spend that money on something that will give me nearly 2X as much as spending about 3k less.

ajnasrah20083

Established Member
Honestly, I don't know. Ive seen some people have good luck with it and turn out good numbers, and others complain that its just a cheap kit..but of course, the people saying its cheap usually haven't owned one. Right now I am on the fence of either getting that kit or selling the cobra and hopping onto a terminator or 11' GT.

Man the 5.0's are Awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread