01 Cobra Stroked and Blown. What oil?

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
Going to be taking my car out of storage shortly and doing an oil change. So I'm looking for the best oil for it.

About the car. Stroked out to 298. 9.5:1 compression. D1SC. Stage 2 Comp Cams. Methanol. Only driven on nice days. Stored inside in the northeast. So it'll see temps from as low as 35 and as high as 100. About 3000-5000 miles a year. No track time but will see the occasional highway pull.

What do you guys suggest for brand and weight?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
AMSOIL dominator 10w30 (RD30). change once a year before storage.

I'd like to see a UOA from a car like his, changing to Dominator the day before storage, brought out in the spring, driven all summer season.

Amsoil Dominator RD30

Amsoil EaO11

At that time, then I would be comfortable knowing the amount of detergent additives were adequate. If they were not, I'd select Amsoil ATM 10W-30 instead.

Last edited:

Mike Dj

Established Member
Modular oil type

Driven FR20 is what you need to be using. Modular engines need a 5w-20 because at start up the oil needs to get moving in a hurry because the last part that see's oil are the camshafts. Using a 10w 30 will start the galling process of the cam journals because a 10w 30 takes too much time to reach the cam journals in time it will damage them.

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

Established Member
I'd like to see a UOA from a car like his, changing to Dominator the day before storage, brought out in the spring, driven all summer season.

Amsoil Dominator RD30

Amsoil EaO11

At that time, then I would be comfortable knowing the amount of detergent additives were adequate. If they were not, I'd select Amsoil ATM 10W-30 instead.

I really have no doubt being he only puts 3-5k a year on it, that the RD30 would be fine. but science would tell 100% as you suggested..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Royal Purple HPS 5W-20 (part #31520, quart bottle) or Royal Purple HPS 5W-30 (part #31530, quart bottle).

5W-20 will make the most power and get the best fuel economy.
A 5W-30 would typically be more appropriate if you regularly do road race type track events with the car.
RP HPS series oils: http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/hps-motor-oil/

Users who are viewing this thread