01 Cobra Oil/Smoke Issues

Arams01cobra

Hello All,

This is my first time posting, but i have been learning from everyone on here for a year or so. I have an 01 Cobra that is having a few issues and i'm not really 100% on where to start. I have been burning/adding oil a lot between oil changes about 2 qrts every 3k. Oil looks great and there is no sign of leaking anywhere. I also get a white puff of smoke when i start the car which i heard could be from a crappy PCV system and the fact that i park nose down on a hill I call my driveway everyday. The only other problem i have had was a stutter or slight hesitation when i was at a steady RPM or slowly accelarating. I changed my spark plug and the stutter/hesitation went away, only to come back when i have my A/C on full blast. BTW car is pretty much all stock triple black 01 cobra with a K&n Filter and straight pipes. Not running synthetic because previous owner wasnt, and car has about 65k on it. I get on it once in a while and do some highway driving but baby it as much as possible. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Everyone!

oxfordsnake

Established Member
Congrats on first post and welcome to the site.:beer: From my experience smoking on start up and loosing oil can be valve seals. If it smokes at all when you are on the throttle it could be piston rings or both. But I'm sure other people could chime too on this. This is something that is brought up alot and I myself did too about a 2 years ago.

pbeechner

Established Member
^ what he said. I get a puff of smoke out of my exhaust on WOT, but my engine has 200,000 miles on it, so I'm not particularly worried. It still makes very good power on the dyno. I usually end up putting about 1.5-2 quarts in every 5,000 miles myself. If you are getting that puff on startup, it may be your valve seals, just like oxfordsnake said.

Black4VPower

SVT Poster
Established Member
I get the puff of smoke upon start up too and I usually add around a quart or so between oil changes. I did a little research on this and it seems to be a common thing but mine runs like a champ. It has 73,000 miles on it and I use regular 5-30 oil as did the previous owner. I have owned 2 GTs and this is my second Cobra. One thing I noticed is both my Cobras have a stronger smell from the exhaust than my GTs did.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
these modular motors naturally burn quite a bit of oil IMO, for being as "advanced" so to speak as they are. I wouldnt say theres anything to worry about until you actually rebuild for other reasons, just do it then. Just keep an eye on the oil level.....

Black4VPower

SVT Poster
Established Member
Haha yeah without cats on my cobra its almost enough to make your eyes water haha. And yes I have checked I'm not running rich :banana:

On my GT I ran a off road H-pipe and it smelled like pure gas. I have the same setup on my Cobra and it smells more dirty or fume like compared to it.

Users who are viewing this thread