01 Cobra Oil cooler

Createawon1

Established Member
Hi, new member here. Car is a 2001 Cobra, 86,000 miles, no mods, great shape. I had the infamous erratic oil pressure gauge come up this weekend. Today I replaced the oil pressure sending unit (old was real bad) it worked great but I overtightened it and cracked (hairline) the oil cooler fitting where that threads in. It leaked oil after that. My question is if I can in weld/epoxy that back together to save it. Id rather not have a red neck repair on my cobra but its so small it seems worth it. Also, the sealing tape on the threads in not there anymore when I pulled the sensor out. I fear it is in the cooler. Thoughts? Full replace? JB weld? Thank you, and if I should post in a better place, let me know.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Post some pics. Normally i say replace. But maybe its repairable

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I did the same shit to my first one during my swap and felt like an idiot... Cracked it right where the sensor goes in... leaked all over the place. Good news is you can swap the coolers with the engine in the car. You just have to disassemble it into its 2 pieces and then it comes right out. I did it in the cold at night with a shop light and a LOT of 4 letter words. Just be omfg DAMN sure you don't screw with that rubber O ring that seals the 2 pieces together. Just clean it off with a rag and fresh oil and torque it to spec. I forget what the torque is but I remember I just googled it. New sensor should go in with black RTV just hand tight plus a touch of torque. Like 12-15ft lbs should be fine.

Createawon1

Established Member
New parts ordered today. Thanks everyone for the help. Ill post results when its going in and not tighten it so much haha!

52merc

Established Member
The 4 bolts (N806156) that attach the filter adapter to the block are torqued to 18 lb·ft (25 N·m). The "nut" that holds the oil cooler to the adapter is torqued to 43 lb·ft (58 N·m).

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Remember its a fat allen head socket that removes the actual oil cooler from the adapter. I had one in my cheap AF harbor freight toolset and it worked fine. If not... run to harbor freight or amazon one in.

Users who are viewing this thread