01 cobra, need more power...

VwAlex

Hey guys!
As you can guess from my username I'm completly new to the mustang scene. I have been into european cars since day one and my only american escapades where with vettes. Couple of weeks ago my buddy decided he wanted a weekend car. New edge stangs are cheap here and the cobra is much more appealing than the gt, the rigth one came along and he bougth it this week.

First thing I noticed is holy wheel hop madness! I guess subframe bushings are a must?

Second thing, less low end torque than expected but much better top end. Gears don't seem to suit the car however.

So we brougth the car in today, did the followings :

Powerslot rotors all around
Hawk pads
Eibach springs
Got rid of the cats,
Diablosport Predator
Hurst shifter

Suspension is obviously going to need a lot more work. But I was wondering what should be the next step for more power? Exhaust doesn't seem to be to restrictive, maybe headers? Intake never give anything on euro cars, I guess same applies here. Cams? Or do we need higher comp to gain from it? Don't want to go forced induction this year, gears are gonna be in next week or so. Anything we should do?

Thanks,

2013 Laguna Seca

Laguna 2013
Established Member
IRS bushings and a brace,subframe connectors,4.10 gears and longtubes,o/r h pipe and
catback(if yours are factory) JLt cold air intake/ram air.This should wake her up nicely.
Post some pics if you can.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
If you are staying N/A I'd jump to 4:30's or 4:56's. I only noticed a 200 rpm difference going from 4:10's to 4:56's.

shurur

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/213384-irs-tech-article.html
IRS Informational Article

Yes 3.73 is probably the highest gear you want NA...As the motor shines in the higher rpms

bassani/jba midlength header with hi-flow cats midpipe (most use LT)
hi flow catbacks
ported intake by NA-SVT (SVTP poster and NA guru)
comp cams w/springs 106300/106400 or not 106100
90mm MAF
cobra R type pullies with ati/march damper
~ 370 rwhp possible

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/846133-99-cobra-400-n.html

welcome aboard.....my winter driver is an Audi A4 3L Q w/stick..love it.
yes the mustang needs a frame...not just subframe connectors..and right away.

shifter, gears, frame...are usually the first mods..then reading time

Last edited:

2001cobravert

Established Member
I'd go with 4.10 gears for NA. Long tube headers, mgw shifter, irs bushings, and subframe connectors.
Let's see some pics.:beer:

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
Yes 3.73 is probably the highest gear you want NA...As the motor shines in the higher rpms

bassani/jba midlength header with hi-flow cats midpipe (most use LT)
hi flow catbacks
ported intake by NA-SVT (SVTP poster and NA guru)
comp cams w/springs 106300/106400 or not 106100
90mm MAF
cobra R type pullies with ati/march damper
~ 370 rwhp possible

Go at least 4.30's, who wants to go faster then 121mph anyways? I give the 106100's a huge thumbs up. Depends what you wanna do.....gear wise. I went with 4.30's 4 years ago, because i was planning ahead. So think about it, 4.56's are good for 117mph, 4.30's 121mph, 4.10's 126mph

shurur

Established Member
Go at least 4.30's, who wants to go faster then 121mph anyways? I give the 106100's a huge thumbs up. Depends what you wanna do.....gear wise. I went with 4.30's 4 years ago, because i was planning ahead. So think about it, 4.56's are good for 117mph, 4.30's 121mph, 4.10's 126mph

Simply note the HP difference between my stock cobra and the HP had by Bmeagher..that's almost exactly the HP changes you will get with the listed mods.

375 vs 262 rwhp

This is the same RWHP the new (stock) 5.0 GTs are making on a dyno now!!..plus a few hunded pounds extra curbweight for the new mustangs.

I'm saving for ML headers now.

Last edited:

02SVTV6

Established Member
I'll get straight to the point. Keep Stock gears and go Turbo. Save your money of buying BS bolt ons to not be satisfied down the road unless you plane supercharging then get rid of the IRS either way for a Straight axle and max 4.10s. 4.56s are not Necessary unless you want to build a high RPM NA / nitrous build for 1/8th mile

Users who are viewing this thread