Nonotech

Established Member
Hi, everyone, I am posting this because I have read a lot of mixed opinions when it comes to the 2001 Cobra, I recently bought one with a blown rear end, I am in the process of rebuilding it and I have found that the 01 and 03-04 are virtually the same with the exception of gears, I ordered an Eaton Trutrack for an 04 and everything fits perfectly fine even the axles are the same, I compared them and unless the previous owner upgraded to 04 axles, which I doubt he did, they are virtually exact.

Now the actually difference is the front support, it does not have the two extra brakets for the front of the differential support, the rear support is virtually identical, it even has the mount to the subframe the same way on the diff cover. Any questions please ask and if I can I'll post some pics as well!!

Last edited:

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
The 01 is exact as the 03-04 , with the exceptions you mentioned .
3.27 gears in 01 .
I thought you were asking a question

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I thought the axle on the 01 was a 28 spline while the 03 had a 31 spline axle making the terminator’s beefier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nonotech

Established Member
I thought the axle on the 01 was a 28 spline while the 03 had a 31 spline axle making the terminator’s beefier.

That's what a lot of people think, according to what I have read around, but I am doing mine right now and all parts for 03-04 fit just perfect, the only difference is the gearing and the diff. front brace. and the input flange of course that is bigger for the drive shaft, now wether the axles on the 03-04 are buffer I don't know, but as far as I can see physically they are identical.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
That's what a lot of people think, according to what I have read around, but I am doing mine right now and all parts for 03-04 fit just perfect, the only difference is the gearing and the diff. front brace. and the input flange of course that is bigger for the drive shaft

On my old ‘99, it was the 28 spline and it had terrible wheel hop until I added a steeda brace to reduce the hop.

I know the 03/04 were different from the ‘99. May be the ‘01 diff was upgraded.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
99 had 28 spline. 01 had 31 spline. But the inner CV's and the shaft itself on the half shaft was smaller on the 01 half shafts. I grenaded an inner CV on a stock 01 half shaft on a somewhat hard 2-3 shift getting on the freeway. I was also making double the stock horsepower though.

Last edited:

52merc

Established Member
01 and 03-04 halfshafts are physically interchangeable but as mentioned above the 01 are a lighter version. These are 01 shafts.
Halfshafts Recon LR.jpg

01vert

Established Member
See above. Common early hop up was to get 03 half shafts from guys upgrading to aftermarket ones.

Badaz01

Established Member
I just rebuilt my entire rear end for the most part on my 2001 cobra with the exception to the half shafts. I went with complete full tilt boogie kit with lowering diff brace and Ford racing diff cover as well as new sway bar end links and cross axis joint bushings. Haven’t got to really try it yet due to crappy weather but hoping they will take down wheel hop. I’m leaning hard on boosting the car and I hope these upgrades will be a good complement to the power. Oh and BTW we threw 410’s in the diff while we were at it.

Nonotech

Established Member
I just rebuilt my entire rear end for the most part on my 2001 cobra with the exception to the half shafts. I went with complete full tilt boogie kit with lowering diff brace and Ford racing diff cover as well as new sway bar end links and cross axis joint bushings. Haven’t got to really try it yet due to crappy weather but hoping they will take down wheel hop. I’m leaning hard on boosting the car and I hope these upgrades will be a good complement to the power. Oh and BTW we threw 410’s in the diff while we were at it.

I did the same, I just rebuilt my entire IRS with prothane bushings, x axis, full tilt boogie front diff brace, and a Ford racing cover, while I was at it I put in 4.56's, eventually I will be boosting it and putting in a t56 magnum.

IMG_2877.jpg
IMG_2879.jpg
IMG_2878.jpg
IMG_2881.jpg
IMG_2880.jpg
IMG_2882.jpg

52merc

Established Member
Did you have any issues getting the NVH weight to clear the brace? When I did mine, I had to grind a little off the front edge of the weight before it would fit. My brace was the first one FTBR sold. They didn't even logo it and was painted in a semi-flat paint.
IRS Ready to Install.jpg

Nonotech

Established Member
Did you have any issues getting the NVH weight to clear the brace? When I did mine, I had to grind a little off the front edge of the weight before it would fit. My brace was the first one FTBR sold. They didn't even logo it and was painted in a semi-flat paint.View attachment 1690372

I didn't have any issues, it fits really close but still have about 1/8 of an inch gap, I though on putting a bit of 3m tape asan insulator just in case it vibrates and touches the brace, so it doesn't make noises or anything like that.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member

Badaz01

Established Member
I took my nvh weight off and mine is fine. Noise is slightly louder with the most being a very faint hum of the 410’s. Honestly the noise I hear now puts me to mind of what a real sports car should sound like plus I was able to shed about 8 lbs.

Nonotech

Established Member
I took my nvh weight off and mine is fine. Noise is slightly louder with the most being a very faint hum of the 410’s. Honestly the noise I hear now puts me to mind of what a real sports car should sound like plus I was able to shed about 8 lbs.

Thanks, for the advise, I think if mine makes any kind of noise or clunk or whatever, then Ill take it completely off..

Users who are viewing this thread