'01 Cobra Intake TB Upgrade?

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Of the people on here using the '01 Cobra intake manifold like me, who here has upgraded to an aftermarket throttlebody?

Is it at all worthwhile to upgrade my ported stock TB? Are there any other options out there besides BBK and Accufab?

My new engine will have Stg. 3 ported Livernois heads and custom turbo cams on top of a Boss 5.0 so does anyone think the TB could potentially be a limitation?

I don't think I will be getting rid of the '01 Cobra intake, while the Sullivan tends to make more peak power from the dyno charts I have seen, it doesn't seem to match the "area under the curve" of the '01 intake.

While on the subject of this intake does anyone remember the name of the guy that does some serious porting work to the lower intakes? Can't remember at all.. His work look promising from what I remember.

cobrasvt57

Established Member
yea his company was called NAZTY and his name was naz as i remember but he as far as i know closed shop.There are others like ROY the same dude that makes the spacers for the our intakes that are still out there.

cobrasvt57

Established Member
i had a guy under the name orange blast port mine from the mach1 registry.
With P&P intake,BBK lts,4.56s,custom jlt CAI,vrs offroad x and good old chokmasters my 97 pfg cobra ran mid 12s at 111-112 mph on 275/40 BFG kds pulling 1.90-1.93 60fts.
The car has a mach1 engine swap in it.But since those times were ran i've pulled the gears,lts getting it ready for boost. And now that Coyote engine is out and i'm beside myself as to what i wanna do.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Pretty much the only option for us throttle body wise is a Accufab throttle body. Also the person to talk to for porting these intakes in NASVT.. :beer:

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I opened mine up myself to use my Accufab on it. The TB blocks the IAC opening on the intake, so all I had to do was weld a fitting on my intake tube to do the remote IAC set up.

It obviously doesn't hurt power much, but at some point it's gotta hurt flow with the size difference between the openings of the two TB's.

Cobra8urZ06

Established Member
Of the people on here using the '01 Cobra intake manifold like me, who here has upgraded to an aftermarket throttlebody?

Is it at all worthwhile to upgrade my ported stock TB? Are there any other options out there besides BBK and Accufab?

My new engine will have Stg. 3 ported Livernois heads and custom turbo cams on top of a Boss 5.0 so does anyone think the TB could potentially be a limitation?

I don't think I will be getting rid of the '01 Cobra intake, while the Sullivan tends to make more peak power from the dyno charts I have seen, it doesn't seem to match the "area under the curve" of the '01 intake.

While on the subject of this intake does anyone remember the name of the guy that does some serious porting work to the lower intakes? Can't remember at all.. His work look promising from what I remember.

kris starnes does some incredible stuff with the 01 intakes, his work is unmatched in my opinion ;-)

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
im interested in this as well at like 23psi with the procharger it only made like 635rwhp so im thinking that the stock intake and throttle body might be a restriction

cobrasvt57

Established Member
I think i'm going to make a intake hat that'll replace the lid putting the tbody towards the front of the car i think it should be worth a bit of power

03twinturbo

Established Member
"I don't think I will be getting rid of the '01 Cobra intake, while the Sullivan tends to make more peak power from the dyno charts I have seen, it doesn't seem to match the "area under the curve" of the '01 intake."

Got a 03 HP TT 67mm setup myself with 01-02 intake. Was gonna switch to Sullivan . Sounds like I will loose bottom end. Will the loss be that bad as compared to the top end hp gained though? As it is I spin down low unless im in 3rd gear but if I could just port the heck out of my intake and gain the claimed HP sullivan intakes yield that would be great.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
All I know is that I am not changing anything on my car. Not sure if we lucked out with the combo or what but I am very happy with it.

cobrasvt57

Established Member
intaje

You don't think that will hurt flow since the runners are contoured to intake air from the side?

No if anything it will help flow since the intake lid in the stock location sends a more dense charge to the 7,8 piston.Adding a custom hat will all the intake more plenum volume and a more equal flow for all runners.

Users who are viewing this thread