01 Cobra Frame rail dilemma

ASlow01

Established Member
I'm relatively new to the new edge game. Recently, within the past year I acquired a low mileage 01 cobra. Great car, runs well. I've been loving it. I just hate the wheels. They're the bullit style. So today I was jacking up the car and putting it on stands to do a wheel swap and notice that the driverside rail is about 1 inch lower than the passenger side WTF. The car doesn't show any signs of an accident.

I need some opinions. It must have been in an accident, right? Do I junk this thing? Part it out? I'm a little brokenhearted as I've been putting a lot of cash into it customizing.

shurur

Established Member
This is why a frame is the first mod on these cars.
Road racers don't call it the fifth spring or the pie tin for nothing.

Check out stifflers.

If the oem frame needs to be tacked, it can be done then.

Badaz01

Established Member
This is why a frame is the first mod on these cars.
Road racers don't call it the fifth spring or the pie tin for nothing.

Check out stifflers.

If the oem frame needs to be tacked, it can be done then.
Yea what he said. Before I did the stifflers subframe connectors the weld ins that is. I couldn’t open my door while on jacks. Now with them I can open the door while up on Jacks. Not to mention an improving handling.

Shetz99Cobra

Established Member
Badaz01 - do you have your cobra lowered (looks like you do in your picture), how well does the stifflers subframe connecters fit underneath the car with it lowered? Do the subframe connecters stick down lower than the frame or no? I have H&R lowering springs with a 1.6" drop on my vert and it already sits fairly close to the ground. I wondered whether the subframe connecters came down lower than the frame after you've installed them.

Dave.O

Established Member
Word to the wise if installing your own subframe connectors…. Make sure the car weight is supported by the wheels or suspension while welding in. Not by the frame. Weld them in as if the car was naturally standing on the ground. Prevents prestressing the frame and suspension

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Badaz01

Established Member
Badaz01 - do you have your cobra lowered (looks like you do in your picture), how well does the stifflers subframe connecters fit underneath the car with it lowered? Do the subframe connecters stick down lower than the frame or no? I have H&R lowering springs with a 1.6" drop on my vert and it already sits fairly close to the ground. I wondered whether the subframe connecters came down lower than the frame after you've installed them.
Yea they are tucked up in pretty well my mid pipe is actually closer to the ground but still clears well. I even have the upr moly k member with coil overs set extra low. So yea clearance is no issue although I do have 18 inch wheels also.

Badaz01

Established Member
44BF44C4-726C-4F6C-8D38-951B3C3AF8C9.jpeg
F34FC5BA-463A-4FCE-86E5-F8CC28761001.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread