'00 R Coolant Flush and Fill Suggestions

84venom

Established Member
I know this has been discussed at nauseam, but I want to make sure and get more info. It looks like the upper crossover tube between the left and right heads has a plug in it with a square fitting. I just want to confirm that I can unscrew that. That seems like a good place to refill the system? I don't know how else you can get coolant back into the heads after draining, at least until it gets to full operating temp and the thermostat opens???

nmp1

Established Member
yes you can, thats what i did. drove it around a few times then checked and refilled the system.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
I know this has been discussed at nauseam, but I want to make sure and get more info. It looks like the upper crossover tube between the left and right heads has a plug in it with a square fitting. I just want to confirm that I can unscrew that. That seems like a good place to refill the system? I don't know how else you can get coolant back into the heads after draining, at least until it gets to full operating temp and the thermostat opens???

People make out this process like it's some big complicated procedure when it's really not. Just get the front end up on ramps, and pour the coolant in slowly so it doesn't "gurgle" and trap more air. Have done it several times and never had issues later on.

Here's the official process right from the Ford service manual for the 4.6 4V, but it's going to be essentially the same - and pretty straightforward:

http://www.termi-stat.com/index_htm_files/Cobra coolant filling procedure.pdf

TFStang

Established Member
Bringing this thread back. What is everyone doing for coolant change in their 00R’s?

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
BF21-F277-B945-4367-8-E99-735094-AEEBB6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread