'00 Cobra R brakes, '01 Cobra wheels, no fit?

YellowSnake01

Established Member
I know this is a foxbody question, but it's got the SN95 swap and '01 Cobra wheels so hopefully you guys can help me out.....

I was hoping to be able to put Cobra R brakes on my '90 GT. I've been told that they won't fit, but what's the issue? Is it something as simple as a wheel spacer, or is there more to it than that? I'd love to put these brakes on my car, but I really love the look of the rims on the car. If anyone has any info/dimensions of these brakes it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
The rotor may be too big. The 01 wheels will only clear a 13" rotor or smaller, anything over that would require an 18" or bigger. I would imagine the cobra R has bigger rotors.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think the R rotor is 13", but the caliper is wider on the R set up. That's where the cleaenace issue comes up.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The clearance issue is due to the diameter of the rotor and caliper.

There are "some" 17 inch wheels that will clear the 00R front brake setup, but none of the ford OEM 17's will. This includes the 01 wheels.

You'll need to step up to an 18" wheel to clear the 00R front brakes.

CobraG

Established Member
Torch10th said:

There are "some" 17 inch wheels that will clear the 00R front brake setup, but none of the ford OEM 17's will. This includes the 01 wheels.

You're like a Mustang dictionary :coolman:

hatsharpener

Established Member
Torch10th said:

98 Cobra wheels will clear.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
No, that's quadcammer...

My opinion on this subject is that for the original poster, it's giogn to be a lot more of a hassle than it's worth to go to the 00R setup.

Many people seem to think that bigger brakes equal shorter stopping distances. Not necessarily the case.

The biggest advantage to larger rotors is the fact that they can hold more heat without incurring fade. For somebody that doesn't open track or long course auto-x the car, this upgrade is worthless.

Though you may have increased brake torque, on the street with street tires the only thing you've done is cause the brakes to lock up sooner which works against you in stopping distances.

Even the standard Cobra 13" brakes are about overkill for street use.

If you're looking for better stopping distances, just buy better pads and the largest stickiest tires you can get on the car.

cobraracer46

Banned
Torch10th said:

You are incorrect. the 01 and 03 Cobra wheels will clear the 00 cobra R calipers. the 2000 R and 2001 Cobra rotors are the same. On a side note, the 1995 17'' Cobra R wheel clears the Brembo 14'' grand turismo brake system with the F50 calipers by 2MM.

YellowSnake01

Established Member
Well the '00 R and regular Cobra brakes are both 13" rotors, but I'm thinking the caliper may take up more space between the rotor and the ID of the rim. Also, with pistons on the outboard side of the caliper, I can see how the caliper hitting the spokes of the wheel might be a problem.

I agree that the '00 Rs are overkill on the street, but I'm building the car for road racing (HPDE) so chances are I'll need them. When I road raced my '01 Cobra on the track I had a LOT of braking issues, even with Hawk HPS pads. The foxbody will be a lot lighter, with more power and track tires so it'll be seeing much higher speeds than my Cobra was. If I can't run the '00 R brakes I'll probably get the regular Cobra brakes with Hawk Blue pads. But if I can get the '00 Rs on it now, I'd much rather do that.

So am I the first one looking to do these brakes on these wheels? I was hoping to find someone who has them, or any pics would be awesome too.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
YellowSnake01 said:
Well the '00 R and regular Cobra brakes are both 13" rotors, but I'm thinking the caliper may take up more space between the rotor and the ID of the rim. Also, with pistons on the outboard side of the caliper, I can see how the caliper hitting the spokes of the wheel might be a problem.

I agree that the '00 Rs are overkill on the street, but I'm building the car for road racing (HPDE) so chances are I'll need them. When I road raced my '01 Cobra on the track I had a LOT of braking issues, even with Hawk HPS pads. The foxbody will be a lot lighter, with more power and track tires so it'll be seeing much higher speeds than my Cobra was. If I can't run the '00 R brakes I'll probably get the regular Cobra brakes with Hawk Blue pads. But if I can get the '00 Rs on it now, I'd much rather do that.

So am I the first one looking to do these brakes on these wheels? I was hoping to find someone who has them, or any pics would be awesome too.

I'm not surprised you had issues w/ the HPS pads on the track. HPS = High Performance Street and a lot of folks have said they are no good for track use becuase they start to fade after a very few laps. If you want to stay w/ Hawks pads you'd need the HP Plus but I've heard people complain even about those giving up sooner than what people would like and they also dust a lot apparently. Supposedly the Carbotech pads and a good synthetic fluid are what you want to have for our cars along w/ stainless steel brake lines!

Users who are viewing this thread