“Sticky” Gas Pedal

jshaw4

Established Member
Hey Everyone,

Lately my gas pedal has started to “stick” when I initially start to press it. It’s almost like it is stuck or catching on something and then when I push hard enough it finally depresses (which causes me to rev the car). It doesn’t happen every time, but it seems to be happening more frequently. Any ideas on where I should start to find the problem? I checked under the hood and it seems to also be hard to press initially at the TB too, just not as noticeable.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I've had a few issues over the years

Sticking throttle body back in 05 maybe
Fix was replacement

Had pedal stick open
Problem was rubber seal ripped inside and was holding plate open

While in flip flops had pedal stick behind carpet.
But never in sneakers

The carpet issue is a recall

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Accufab Monoblade

Id pull the inlet tube off and see if the blade is catching the housing or anything. Did it just start doing this or did you just get the car and notice it?

Granted throttle bodies between the terminator and other 4 valve cars are very different I believe the other Mach I owed had an accufab and TB return spring was substantially stronger and a little tougher to modulate cleanly.

jshaw4

Established Member
Id pull the inlet tube off and see if the blade is catching the housing or anything. Did it just start doing this or did you just get the car and notice it?

Granted throttle bodies between the terminator and other 4 valve cars are very different I believe the other Mach I owed had an accufab and TB return spring was substantially stronger and a little tougher to modulate cleanly.
I’ll pull it apart this weekend and see. It did seem like I felt resistance when the engine was running, but not when it was off. Not sure if that makes a difference. It’s been doing it for a few months now, but it seems like it’s becoming more frequent. I only drive it 1-2 times a week.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ll pull it apart this weekend and see. It did seem like I felt resistance when the engine was running, but not when it was off. Not sure if that makes a difference. It’s been doing it for a few months now, but it seems like it’s becoming more frequent. I only drive it 1-2 times a week.

i mean something in the TB could be a little out of whack and catching when hot

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Crack the throttle stop open about 1 turn. Then double check your TPS voltage. The single blades tend to be "sticky" when you initially press the gas. I figured it's because of the large area of the single blade and all the vacuum behind it. Cracking the blade open a little bit gets rid of the suction.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
While you have it apart spray some carb cleaner on a rag, hold the throttle open and wipe around where the blade seals. Especially if you still have PCV you sometimes get a little build up around the seal surface making too good of a seal.

jshaw4

Established Member
Crack the throttle stop open about 1 turn. Then double check your TPS voltage. The single blades tend to be "sticky" when you initially press the gas. I figured it's because of the large area of the single blade and all the vacuum behind it. Cracking the blade open a little bit gets rid of the suction.
Thanks I’ll give that a try.

Users who are viewing this thread