“Mystery Mufflers” versus Roush Axle Backs- Video Comparison

matt5058

Established Member
I think I’ve mentioned these axle backs that I’ve taken to calling the mystery mufflers in a few random threads - I picked up these axle backs from another member on here a few months back. Finally got them installed on my 2014 GT and made a video of the install and a sound comparison between these and my Roush axle backs.

I did some searching and they bear slight resemblance to the flow master outlaws and the American Muscle SR performance axle backs but not close enough to either to be a confirmed match IMO.

Anyways, here’s the video. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Sounded very similar to each other. What’s the sound difference in the cabin under load and while cruising? The mystery muffler actually looked a little better at the tips, it finished a little closer to the bumper as the roush looked liked it sticks out a little further. Which is your favorite?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraG

Established Member
To me the Roush sounded a little deeper. Overall they were both similar IMO. I think they both sound good.

matt5058

Established Member
Sounded very similar to each other. What’s the sound difference in the cabin under load and while cruising? The mystery muffler actually looked a little better at the tips, it finished a little closer to the bumper as the roush looked liked it sticks out a little further. Which is your favorite?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

So after driving around with the mystery mufflers for a couple of days, here's my take - the mystery mufflers are a little bit quieter at idle but a little bit deeper at low speeds than the Roush. At cruising speeds, they are as loud as the Roush with no backfire/snap, crackle, pop, which makes it easier to focus on the drone (of which there is a LOT, especially cruising along at 50+ in 5th gear. If there was an easy way to add those tips to the Roush, I'd do that.

For shits and giggles, I actually just put the stock mufflers on today for the first time in almost six years. My wife couldn't believe how quiet it is. Felt like we were driving around in a hybrid. :p

I will probably keep these on for a little bit just to enjoy some quiet cruising. It actually made me wonder if I really should consider trying to sell both the mystery mufflers and the Roush ABs and then getting the GT500 axle backs. Might be a nice middle ground.

matt5058

Established Member
So for shits and giggles, I put the stock mufflers back on over the weekend. I couldn't believe how quiet it is. First time I've been able to have a conversation while driving without raising my voice in almost six years. After driving it around a little bit, I think I'm leaning towards doing the GT500 ABs, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread