’99-’04 Resurgence?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
They are hitting a price point where you can mod on them pretty hard and still be reasonable on money spent.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
I see them gaining popularity with kids who only want to make them look nice; not go fast. The 5.0s were unique in that they were cheap and VERY mod friendly. The 4.6L isn't exactly the most exciting of motors....

bobby_0081

Established Member
I feel like the aftermarket has abandoned them in so many ways. One company makes full roller followers "Jesel" 16 for $1999.00. Heads are PI or Trickflow. Intake choices are poor compared to the 3V and new Coyote engines. Saleen and Roush no longer carry roots 2V blowers, Tork Tech is a pain because it isn't a complete kit. There are so many cool aftermarket parts for 2005 and up cars and for the fox body cars but it seems that the 94-04 cars have gotten left in the dark. Maybe the resurgence in popularity will bring some good performance parts to the table for the 2V cars.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
I'd like to say it would, but I'm afraid it won't. The 2v motor is old news and very boring. If companies weren't making performance parts during the more popular days of the 2v, I can't imagine they would start now. There just isn't a lot of potential to be had from a 2v motor without doing some serious work to it.

Tombstone02

I think the price point for the car will help keep it viable for a while. And most people I know still feel the New Edge body style is one of the best looking. With the cost of the newer versions they'll stay relevant.

I think the big thing is that it seems you have to have a plan with the mod motors before you start modding. The parts aren't cheap so deciding if you will go N/A, FI, Nitrous etc. out of the gate is a big deal.

There is alot to be done though as far as looks go; cobra bumpers, roush, saleen, hoods, mach 1, etc. so I see more unique new edges (most are tastefully done, some however....) whereas the newer models are either stock, have wheels, or are specialty models like the roush or cobra.

for me right now, i am mixing and matching parts on a build and just having ufn with the car, which is what it's ultimately about I guess.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Wait a few years, the Coyote swaps will be forthcoming, the body style is still pretty cool and there were millions of SOHC engines made so parts are available just not a lot of performance parts. Ar least they aren't 3 valve, I see that engine as a dead end.

bobby_0081

Established Member
Wait a few years, the Coyote swaps will be forthcoming, the body style is still pretty cool and there were millions of SOHC engines made so parts are available just not a lot of performance parts. Ar least they aren't 3 valve, I see that engine as a dead end.

Seems to me the 3V will hit a dead end but for the moment there are way more 3V parts than there ever were 2V parts. Ford Racing sells all kind of parts for the 3V's and never did anything for the 2V.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Seems to me the 3V will hit a dead end but for the moment there are way more 3V parts than there ever were 2V parts. Ford Racing sells all kind of parts for the 3V's and never did anything for the 2V.

that maybe true currently but I can't figure out why Ford even produced the 3 valve, they already made the 4 valve and there are many more 2valves than 3 valves out there still. I can't see "swapping " to a 3 valve when there are plenty of 4 valves to swap to

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
If I remember correctly I think the 4v was more expensive to produce. Ford needed a motor that they could mass produce for cheap. I think most will agree that the 4v was a better motor than the 3v, but it's still leagues better than the 2v. Lets just all be thankful that they decided to go with the Coyote.

VA-Mach1

Established Member
I bought a 03 Mach 1 for a few reasons.

1. I will never take the huge lose of buying a new ever again.
2. It was in my price range without having a car payment.
3. 99-04 look the best.
4. Don't like the looks of a Cobra, body or wheels.
5. Mach 1's have the 4v.
6. No plans for aftermarket mods at the moment, but still plenty of parts out there to keep the car going.

99-04 was a win for me as far as budget and preferance. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread