‘Creaking’ noise in front - what is it?

too slow

Established Member
Good ole WD40 sprayed on the actual rack and pinion worked for me. I took it to the dealer once and they replaced the tie rods and links, sure enough 2 months later it was back.... It's been 5 months since the WD and still creak free!! Now if I could get Ford to actually fix my "Clink" when taking off after reversing... Had that worked on last year and it's back alright. I mentioned to my advisor, when I took in the car last month, that several board members with similar symptoms posted that it turned out to be the " HUB " but they decided to do some retourquing or some kind of BS on the rear of the car... Of coarse I hear it every mornig... Anyone have any idea on this one, input greatly appreciated.....

Billy Pilgram

I'm glad I went with the alum. No squeaking/creaking anymore. Some people may notice a little more harshness/road noise (I mean very little) but after all it's a performance car right. It's not like we put on exhaust systems to make them quieter.

The install was pretty straight forward. I had trouble seperating the steering column from the rack so I had to futz around to get the rack far enough out of the way to get the stock rubber bushings out. On the alum bushings you need to cut the stock crush sleeves down so they barely protrude past the K-member. They're used to center the unit on the mounting holes. The alum bushings themselves are only to hold the rack in place against the K-member. The instructions for the MM MMST-3 bushings explains it real well and has a little diagram.

cgg074

Established Member
I thought that the aluminum bushings are not recommended for stock K-members.

So there are people with Urethane bushings and still have the creak??? :shrug:

cgg074

Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
offset bushings are not for stock k-members.

urethane sucks no matter where its used.

Why do you say that about urethane?? Any bad experience??

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
replaced dozens of these with urethane maximum motorsport rack bushing to eliminate the creaking and groaning...hermann
Worked for me. Eliminated the creaking & improved steering response.

cgg074

Established Member
Hey guys,

You will find this thread very interesting, specifically the part that says about tack welding the sleeve that goes through the K-member.

Fix for the Creak

Post your opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread