2003 Cobra BUYING GUIDE - Need Input

blue88mustang

Established Member
I am currently looking for a 2003 Cobra, but there seems to be a wide range of modifications, prices, mileage and TSB issues. I am not quite sure what I need to look for, or what I need to avoid, when looking over potential cars for purchase.

Please enlighten me on the IN's and OUT's of what to look for and what I should avoid.

A few questions that I would like to get answers for are:

1. What build dates / build #'s tend to have the least amount of problems?
2. Is there a way to tell if the car was ever chipped or pullied?
3. What are the common issues with this year of car?
4. Any concerns or issues specific to the convertible 03 Cobras?
5. Any specific methods to find certain issues before, during or after a test drive?
6. What modifications should be deemed as "minor" and not of major concern? (ie - Pulley size, chip, etc)

Any other tips, advice or input would be great. I am hoping that this will be a detailed thread so others can use this when they go to look for an 03/04 Cobra.

Nkosi

Established Member
Definately looking forward to hearing some answers here, I plan on buying an 03.04 cobra in the next couple of months

shocker 420

Established Member
Well I can try to help you as best as I can with some oif those questions.

"Is there a way to tell if the car was ever chipped or pullied?"
Well it may be hard to find this out. Because they may have pullied the car, then drove th hell out of it. Then once they decided to sell it, put all the stock parts back on. You may never know. But they may have changed the snout that the pulley was on so if they did the gasket may be a different color.

"What modifications should be deemed as "minor" and not of major concern? (ie - Pulley size, chip, etc)"

Well to me I would try to find a car that is stock when i bought, and just pray that arn't feeding me just a bunch of B.S. Because if they did pully it, tune it and what not. Then things like that make people think "how hard did the previous owner drive this car?" Pulley, custom tune, CAI, and exhaust for these cars are not really huge mods, or hard ones to do. They just make you think what the car has been through.

blue88mustang

Established Member
Posted by RedfireSVT:
The first thing to check is if the stock pulley on the supercharger has been removed,the factory marks it so if it has been removed they and you can tell. If it has been removed or tampered with you can forget about your warranty. This doesn't mean the car is bad but it does indicate it was driven harder in higher boost which is pretty much what we all do. Check the brakes for abnormal wear, check the strut tower adjustment, if it is all the way to negative camber the car was most likely driven hard on the road course(one of my favorites). Look at every bolt on the front end and in the engine compartment, if the car has been wrecked or if a bolt has been turned you can spot it. Stay away from a car with a live axle in place of the IRS or with an automatic, these have been raced hard. Find a guy over 30 that bought it to get over his mid life crisis, only drove it on weekends and now his wife is making him sell it. These are only my opinions.The more stock the car is the better, do your own mods then beat the heck out of it yourself!

Last edited:

blue88mustang

Established Member
Other TSB Issues Common to the 2003 Cobras:

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html

or try

http://www.cobramods.com/TSB.htm

2003 MUSTANG - US (English)

17-54-2 Stalling Issues with 2003 Cobra

04-13-04 Transmission "rattle"

04-01-02 BODY - INTERIOR TRIM - HEADLINER SAGGING IN REAR

03-26-01 TRANSMISSION - 4R70W - NEW SERVICE PART - NUMBER 5 NEEDLE BEARING AND RACE KIT - SERVICE TIP

03-25-06 ENGINE - ROMEO BUILT 4.6L 2V - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 9/17/2003

03-25-05 PAINT - PIN HOLES AND/OR PAINT DELAMINATION ON VEHICLE HOOD - VEHICLES BUILT 6/1/2001 THROUGH 3/1/2003 ONLY

03-24-03 TRANSMISSION - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION GEAR SELECTOR LEVER STUCK IN PARK, UNABLE TO SHIFT INTO PARK - OVERDRIVE FUNCTION INOPERATIVE

03-23-02 BODY - MIRROR - EXTERIOR MIRROR GLASS AND MOTOR REPLACEMENT - SERVICE TIPS

03-22-01 BODY - NOISE - HOOD SCOOP (SHAKER) RATTLE NOISE
ENGINE - NOISE - HOOD SCOOP (SHAKER) RATTLE NOISE
NOISE - HOOD SCOOP (SHAKER) RATTLE NOISE

03-20-03 DRIVEABILITY - MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ILLUMINATED WITH DTC'S P0442, P0455, P0456, P0457, P1442 OR CHECK FUEL CAP LAMP ILLUMINATED WITH DTC P0457

03-18-01 ELECTRICAL - REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY (RKE) - SERVICE TIPS

03-15-01 ELECTRICAL - REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER GRID DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR

03-14-08 TRANSMISSION - NEW TRANSMISSION COOLER FLUSHER - SERVICE TIPS

03-14-04 DRIVEABILITY - ENGINE MISFIRE OR ROUGH RUNNING - COIL ON PLUG (COP) IGNITION SYSTEMS - WDS COIL ON PLUG (COP) KIT DIAGNOSTIC TIPS

03-11-06 ELECTRICAL - WIRING - SOLDERING AND CRIMPING REPAIRS - SERVICE TIPS

03-11-04 ENGINE - MUSTANG COBRA - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - COBRA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 11/1/2002 ONLY

03-10-01 PAINT - PLASTIC BUMPER/FASCIA PARTS - PREPARATION PROCEDURES - SERVICE TIPS

03-09-05 SUSPENSION - CLUNK OR POP NOISE FROM REAR SUSPENSION - MUSTANG COBRA ONLY - SERVICE TIPS
NOISE - CLUNK OR POP NOISE FROM REAR SUSPENSION - MUSTANG COBRA ONLY - SERVICE TIPS

03-08-03 ENGINE - ENGINE OIL LEVEL INDICATOR MARKINGS - REPORTS OF LOW OIL LEVELS

03-03-06 SUSPENSION - DRIFT OR PULL TO RIGHT OR LEFT - MUSTANG COBRA MODELS ONLY

03-01-05 TRIM - PASSENGER SEAT RUBS AGAINST DOOR PANEL

02-23-07 COOLING SYSTEM - MOTORCRAFT PREMIUM GOLD ENGINE COOLANT - SERVICE TIPS

02-23-03 DRIVEABILITY - FUEL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE (SCHRADER VALVE) DISCONTINUED
ENGINE - 3.0L/3.8L/4.6L - FUEL PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE (SCHRADER VALVE) DISCONTINUED

02-22-01 DRIVEABILITY - SURGE/ROLLING IDLE - GEAR DRIVEN SYNCHRONIZERS - INCORRECT INSTALLATION - CAMSHAFT POSITION SYNCHRONIZER (CMP) INSTALLATION TOOL CORRECT APPLICATION
ENGINE - GEAR DRIVEN SYNCHRONIZERS - INCORRECT INSTALLATION - CAMSHAFT POSITION SYNCHRONIZER (CMP) INSTALLATION TOOL CORRECT APPLICATION

02-21-13 ENGINE - STRAIGHTEDGE PROCEDURE FOR CHECKING CYLINDER HEAD AND BLOCK FLATNESS

02-20-08 CLIMATE CONTROL - A/C SERVICE TECH TIPS

02-17-08 NOISE - WINDNOISE FROM THE "A" PILLAR AREA

02-17-06 LAMP - BRAKE - INADVERTENT DISABLING OF BRAKE SHIFT INTERLOCK

02-16-07 BODY - PAINT - APPROVED PAINT MATERIALS FOR WARRANTY REPAIRS

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Well, there is a ton of info on this site about all these issues. But, the good thing with the vast majority of the factory issues, especially on the earlier run 03 Terminators, is that they've probably be repaired at this point.

Buying a modded Cobra can save you a ton of money anyway. There are some awesome modded Cobras on this site that would be great cars to own. And just because a Cobra is stock or unpullied, it doesn't mean it wasn't "rode hard and put up wet". A good buddy of mine had a essentially stock 03 that he drove like it was designed to be driven......went through a couple of clutches, some tranny repairs, and more.

Using common sense when inspecting the car, and developing a good raport with the current owner, will go a long ways in my book on how the he/she maintained and used the car.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
blue88mustang said:
Posted by RedfireSVT:
The head tick was an early 03' problem that was resolved by 04'.
That's not really true. Here's the head tick history in a nutshell...

In May of 2003, Ford issued a TSB to address the driver's side cylinder head ticking problem (TSB 03-11-4). This TSB applied to all '03s with engines built prior to Nov 1, 2002. The TSB called for the installation of a revised cylinder head (part #3R2Z-6049-GA) to cure the problem. This newer head was installed on later '03 and all '04s.

As it turned out, this redesigned head did NOT solve the ticking problem. Many people with later build '03s and even people with '04's developed the tick. Ford apparently discovered this at some point and went back to the drawing board on a SECOND cylinder head revision. Ford issued a Special Service Message to its dealers, but did not issue another TSB. This was the message that dealers received...

This message was broadcast to dealers on/about June 10, 2004:

"Some 2003-2004 Mustangs with a 4.6l 4-valve engine may exhibit a ticking noise from the cylinder head that can be heard coming from the wheel well area, or when standing next to the vehicle. A light ticking noise is considered normal on this engine. If the noise is determined to be excessive, follow normal diagnostic procedures to determine root cause. Engineering is currently investigating this condition. Monitor oasis for updates."
Fast forward to January 2005. Another cylinder head revision was released. These new heads have the following part numbers:

Left side head Part # 2C5Z-6049-BAB
Right side head Part # 2C5Z-6049-CAB

BOTTOM LINE ON THE TICK: No Cobra is immune from developing this problem. You might say that early build '03 are the most likely cars to develop it, but there are still a lot of early-build Cobras running around that have never developed this problem. Keep it in perspective. The vast majority of Cobras (97% maybe?) do not have the ticking problem.

Chameleon

Established Member
I keep this document around for buying questions. It's kind of general but it might help some....

Buying a Used Terminator (2003 or 2004) Cobra
Contributed by members of SVTP

Questions to ask the seller:

1) What are the reason(s) that you selling the car?
2) How long have you owned the vehicle?
3) Has the vehicle ever been driven in rain or snow? If so, how often?
4) What type of garage has the vehicle been kept in, if any?
5) For what purpose(s) was the vehicle used while in your possession?
6) Are you a smoker and/or has the car been smoked in?
7) Where was the car purchased? And at what dealership/shop has maintenance/warranty work been performed?
8) Are there any existing visual defects on any painted surface of the vehicle that will require significant detailing work to remove?
9) Are there any existing/known mechanical issues (engine, drivetrain, suspension, chassis, etc) with the car at all?
10) Has ANYTHING (glass, wheels, body panels, tires, seats, transmission, engine, etc) been replaced or repainted since the vehicle was purchased?
11) What has the car been into the dealership for in the past, in terms of maintenance, warranty or any other mechanical work? (including Technical Service Bulletins, general warranty work and even things as simple as oil changes)
12) In what condition are the tires (front and rear) at this point and, if they are not the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 275/40R17 tires, of what make are they?
13) What specific modifications have you done to the car?? Please list any and all. (intake, exhaust, chip, pulley, shifter, clutch quadrant, shocks, springs, etc)
14) What is its build number (on Certificate of Ownership from SVT)?
15) What was the build date and at which assembly plant was it manufactured?
16) What is the VIN number so that I can run a Carfax on it?
17) Are you the first owner?
18) What documentation do you have with the car? (The 03/04 Terminators came with a black zipper pouch that contained four booklets including (a) “Mustang Owners Guide”, (b) “SVT Mustang Cobra Owner’s Guide Supplement”, (c) “Scheduled Maintenance Guide” and, (d) “Warranty Guide” Does the seller have this pouch with all of these booklets?

Third party verifications:

Get the VIN number and run a Carfax to help you determine the ownership history of the vehicle and to determine if it has been in any major accidents. Be aware though that this is not 100% reliable.

Before buying any used Cobra, take the VIN to a Ford dealer and have them run it through their warranty system (OASIS) to verify that the car has a warranty and to determine what warranty repairs have been performed.

Checking for modifications:

In terms of mods, look at the end of the Blower drive snout, in the center of the pulley. If there is any form of a dot in the middle of the shaft, it has probably had a pulley.

Look at the gas tank cover, towards the front edge of it, where the exhaust bends to go around it. If this edge is blistered it has probably had a catback on it, or the car has been run hard.

Listen for things like the overall body structure being loose.

Look at the throttle body bolts, intake clamp screws, little things for signs of being messed with.

”The Tick” is really loud. Seems to be most prevalent when the engine is lukewarm. If it is the real tick, it will only get louder with rpm. There seems to be a more common tick that is rather quiet, that goes away with rpm. This is not to be confused with injector noise. Put it this way, you will KNOW if it has the tick. Here’s a link to the sound of the Tick- http://www.madmav.com/brian/cobra/movie/MOV01323.MPG

Make sure the clutch takes up hard and low.

Look at tires, abnormal wear, rubber residue in wheel wells, new tires on low mileage car.

Look at brake pad wear (is remaining pads indicative of hard braking such as racing)?

Noises in engine, whine in trans & rear end.

Look at oil, even if it is new, look in the filler cap for burnt oil residue, indicating infrequent oil changes or hard driving/ high operating temps.

Look for signs of cooling system leaks, running low coolant with aluminum heads is very bad.

Educate your self about these cars as much as possible:

A link to the color production…

http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/CobraProductionNumbers.htm

A link to the Terminator FAQ document…

www.alfageek.com/03faq.htm

And finally the differences between the 2003 and the 2004 models:

2003 Versus 2004

The 04s have the same heads as the second run 03s (after 11/02).

The factory tune is a little different on 04s because it fixed the stalling issue on deceleration that some 03 owners experienced. The 03s can be reflashed to fix it too.

The 04's got a revised driveshaft to fix the vibe at 80 that a lot of 03's had. The 03s can have their D/S replaced under warranty to match the 04.

The radio decks are different. The '03s come with an AUX 20 pin port in the back and the '04 has a satellite radio button on the face of the deck.

The cargo pouch on the headliner of the 03s was deleted on the 04s.

The cats are bigger on the 04.

Also, color choices are a little different:
03s were available in Zinc Yellow, Black, White, Dark Shadow Grey, Mineral Grey, Torch Red, Satin Silver, Silver Metallic, Redfire and Sonic Blue.

04s were available in Black, White, Torch Red, Silver Metallic, Redfire, Screaming Yellow, Competition Orange, and Mystichrome.

Production numbers:
2003: 8,394 Coupes and 5,082 Convertibles for a total of 13,476.
2004: 3.768 Coupes and 1,896 Convertibles for a total of 5,664.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looks like the info floodgates have opened. Great job!

Oh, one thing to look for as far as a car having had an aftermarket upper pulley is to examine the end of the snout shaft for scratches. Of course if they used the Billetflow removal tool you're not likely to see any evidence at all. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread