Liberty 26 Spline Input Shaft Installation,,,Pix!!

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
Installed the Liberty input shaft today,,super easy install so I took some pix for everyone.Enjoy :thumbsup:

First I removed the front part of the tranny case.At this point you take the stock unit out and replace it with the 26 spline.
3156.jpg

This is the stock unit compared to the 26 spline.
3159.jpg

This is the bearing cup and the factory .032 shim removed from the front cover.
3161.jpg

To remove the stock TOB Sleeve I just used a BFH.
3162.jpg

A few smacks and out it came.
3163.jpg

Stock sleeve next to the much stronger unit.
3164.jpg

Used a big socket and my BFH to put the new sleeve in.
3166.jpg

Put everything together with the factory .032 shim,,,this gave me about .0025 end play.This is too much so out came everything again.
3167.jpg

I replaced the factory .032 shim with a .034 shim.
3172.jpg

This put me right at about .0005,,,good enough.
3176.jpg

Everything is ready to put back in the cobra,,,then I get to install my Long tubes :pepper:

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Damn dude your writeups are seriously good. Thanks for taking the time and effort to post that up....oh yeah BFH...I love it, lol. The answer to all lifes little problems hehehe.

Pred_mech

Established Member
Is the material different. The fat 10 spline looks etter than the little 26 splines, or is it all in the load distribution?

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
03sonicsvt said:
Is the material different. The fat 10 spline looks etter than the little 26 splines, or is it all in the load distribution?

The 26 spline has more surface area to work with...thus stronger.

Evil1...did I read your end play correctly...you set it up with half a thousands clearance?? I didn't realize those things were that tight!

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Evil1...did I read your end play correctly...you set it up with half a thousands clearance?? I didn't realize those things were that tight!

That is correct.It calls for .000 to .002 in. end play.

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
newbreed77 said:
Nice pics and write-up!! Are you going to do the clutch next?

I did the DFX clutch first,,,I used the Liberty input shaft as my alignment tool.

3152.jpg

SVTBMG

Banned
tHANKS eviL FOR POSTING THIS, the picture of the TOB sleeve saved me. My dealorship had no idea what i was talking about then i had them look at the pics and then they found it for me. Mine just broke today...always happens on the weekends for some reason. So new clutch and and sleeve go in monday... Anyway thanks again for the great post.

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
SVTBMG said:
tHANKS eviL FOR POSTING THIS, the picture of the TOB sleeve saved me. My dealorship had no idea what i was talking about then i had them look at the pics and then they found it for me. Mine just broke today...always happens on the weekends for some reason. So new clutch and and sleeve go in monday... Anyway thanks again for the great post.

Glad it helped :beer:

SVTBMG

Banned
is that TOB sleeve an aftermarket one? and if so who makes it and where could i get one? I am just going with the OEM one

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
SVTBMG said:
is that TOB sleeve an aftermarket one? and if so who makes it and where could i get one? I am just going with the OEM one
Yes it is an aftermarket one. Mcleod makes it. You can order it from Summit the part # 8-118-1 :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread