Stang2WRX - OEM Chrome Wheel Mod

Stang2WRX

Established Member
OK guys,
I got my oem chromies in the mail today... I got some advice from some SVT members, and decided to share the mod...

This mod will get that ugly silver paint off the rim of your wheel (which is most likely there only for easy of cleaning brake dust).

Step 1:

Make sure you have all of the necessary supplies:

-Wheel
-"Aircraft Remover" (available at autozone $7.99 32 oz, $19.99 128 oz)
-Container to pour smaller amounts of the stripper into
-Paint Brush
-Rubber Gloves
-Safety Glasses
-Bucket of hot/warm water
-Old Sponge
-Car Wash Soap
-Hose/Water Supply

Mods011.jpg

Step 2:

Once you have your eyewear and gloves on, pour a small bowl full of aircraft remover.
Then apply it to the painted part of the rim with the brush in "swirlying motions" (you can only do 1/4th to 1/3rd of the wheel at a time if you want to do it right).
Let it sit for 2 minutes.
Mods015.jpg
Mods016.jpg

Step 3:

Use an old car wash sponge and dip it into hot water, ring some of the water out, and begin to wipe off the remover, the paint should be freely coming off, if it's not you either:
a. didn't "swirl in the remover" with the brush enough.
b. didn't give it enough time to set.
Mods017.jpg
Mods018.jpg

Be careful that you dont let it sit for too long, as the silver paint will begin to set again.

Repeat this procedure around the rim.

*Keep away from the center caps*

Step 4:
Empty your bucket and prepare a bucket as though you're going to wash your car. Use a soft wheel brush and wash down the wheel, and tire as some residue may be left over on the wheel.

Dry and...
Mods012.jpg

Mods013.jpg

You will probably want to hit your wheel with some chrome polish.

step 5:

GO SLAP ON YOUR NEW BLING!

Last edited:

RossSVT

Established Member
Did mine, used 0000 steel wool and a little lacquer thinner.

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
you dont have to apply actual "silver" paint to the inner part of the rim??
i am a little lost, if you just have to let the solution "set" and wipe of the paint for the chromed look why is the paint u wipe off there from the factory the first place...i mean are u like buffing the rim to perfection or something lol

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
im a lil confused also....is the wheel on the righ a stock machined wheel polished? i want more info..might have to do this..

and good job on the antenna copycat...haha

Stang2WRX

Established Member
Originally posted by TorchRedCobra04
you dont have to apply actual "silver" paint to the inner part of the rim??
i am a little lost, if you just have to let the solution "set" and wipe of the paint for the chromed look why is the paint u wipe off there from the factory the first place...i mean are u like buffing the rim to perfection or something lol

I'm a little lost about what you're asking too...
The chrome wheels have silver paint on the rim behind the spokes. My best guess is so that you dont have to clean the chrome from brake dust every week, but I bought chrome wheels, I wanted chrome wheels....
The method above just made strippig them to 100% chrome VERY easy.

Originally posted by BADASS03SVT
im a lil confused also....is the wheel on the righ a stock machined wheel polished? i want more info..might have to do this..

and good job on the antenna copycat...haha

These are OEM chrome wheels jake, but it would give a more "polished" look to factory satin wheels.. There might be some wet sanding involved with them thought to get them to polish up nice.

Your antenna is oem cut? Or you bought it short??? Thought you said you bought it. But yea, definately hated the look of the stock one.

95rcobra

I also took the paint off my stock chrome wheels with #0000 fine grade steel wool. It is somewhat labor intensive but well worth it for the results. the full chrome wheels just look much better than seeing that paint.

Later, 95rcobra.

------------------------------------
2004 Mystichrome Cobra coupe.

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
k i sorta get it now
but how come the wheels dont come chrome like the spokes which show on the car when they sit on the hubs from factory even on the inside of the wheel??

Users who are viewing this thread