Speed of Sound Pod/ Fuel/ Boost Guage Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLK_03

Established Member
*Speed of Sound Pod/ Fuel/ Boost Guage Install *PICS*

Install of Alan's (Speed of Sound) custom pillar pod with Autometer Lunar Fuel Pressure and Boost Guages...

Parts needed beyond what is supplied for the guages:

-Soldering Iron
-Solder
-Flux
-Shrink Tubing
-Various elecrical connectors
-Littelfuse Add-A-Circuit (FOR MINI FUSES), NOT for large fuses (AutoZone)
MVC-0221S.jpg

-1 Amp inline fuse (Auto Zone)
MVC-0222S.jpg

Boost Guage:
- Various rubber fittings (Auto Zone)
- Plastic Y's, specifically 3/16" (Auto Zone)

MVC-0223S.jpg

Fuel Pressure Guage:
- 1/16 NPT to 4 AN adaptor(Autometer # 3275)
- 3 Ft. Stainless Steel Hose #4 (Autometer # 3227)
- 90 degree 4AN swivel (Autometer # 3274)

MVC-020S.jpg

For boost guage install:

Locate the factory boost guage line behind the glove box by pressing the tabs on the side toward the middle of the box. The box will then fall completely open:

series1010.jpg

Here is the factory boost line. Remove the yellow plastic connector from the two boost lines
series1008.jpg

Place the 3/16" white plastic y-adaptor onto the factory lines and new boost guage line using the rubber adaptors. Carefully route the boost line under the dash to the driver's side, behind the radio. BE CAREFUL, that plastic line has crazy memory. It is very easy to kink the line while routing. The wiring for the boost guage will follow with the fuel pressure install....
series1011.jpg

Fuel Guage Install:
Start be removing the cap from the Scraeder valve (just like a tire valve) on the fuel rail and stuffing paper towels around the valve...
series1001.jpg

Place another paper towell on top of the valve. VERY CAREFULLY (with eye protection and while working on a cool engine), use a small screwdriver or allen wrench to bleed the fuel pressure from the line.
series1002.jpg

Once all pressure has been relieved, remove the valve from the fuel rail
series1003.jpg

LIGHTLY coat the 1/16 to 4 AN adaptor with some liquid thread tape.
series1005.jpg

Attach to fuel rail along with the swivel, and 4 ft. hose... Attach fuel pressure sending unit to end of hose
series1006.jpg

Cut and solder in the 1Amp inline fuse to the red wire off of the main wiring harness for the fuel pressure guage
series2001.jpg

Now, there are many ways to accomplish the same goal on the next part. The wires from the sending unit must be run through the firewall into the car. How you want to do this is up to you. You can drill a new hole and install a grommet, or you can cut the wires, run them through an existing grommet and solder back together. I did the latter as I didn't want to cut into the car.
Cut the purple, gray, and black wires from the main harness that run to the sending unit. Be sure to leave enough length to run through the firewall and have room to solder...
series1123.jpg

Duct tape the three cut wires to the end of a coat hanger and fish them through a grommet in the firewall.
series1111.jpg

Once in the car, reconnect the purple, gray, and black wires via solder, and shrink tubing to the main wiring harness...
series2005.jpg

Now for the wiring. Place your guages loosely in the pod and run all wires appropriately through the pod. This is the only hiccup I experienced. The connector for the fuel pressure guage was a little bigger than the opening into the pod. I simply used a dremel to open the pod a little so the connector could fit through. You will have a series of wires:
-2 white (power for lights)
-3 black ground
-1 remote turn on for f.p. guage (red)

The white wires get connected to the add-a-circuit
series2023.jpg

The grounds all get placed on the following connector...
series2024.jpg

Now for the turn on for the f.p. guage (red wire). This is the wire that tells the guage to turn on while the car is on. Again, there are different ways to do this. Some add an additional add-a-circuit and use fuse block #20. I didn't have another one, and A.Z. was closed, so I just searched until I found a wire that was hot when the ignition was on. The one I found was off of the defrost button harness. To get to it:
Remove shift knob and bezel and disconnect cig. lighter.
series2011.jpg

Remove trim around radio.
series2010.jpg

The pink with blue striped wire from the defrost harness is the one you want. I used a quick connnect as soldering here would be a PITA and connected the red turn-on wire.
series2006.jpg

Now get on your back ( have fun here!) and remove the 5 amp fuse from block #37. Doing this will allow you to dim the new guages at the same time you dim the factory guages. Plug the add-a-fuse in to #37 and place the 5amp fuse you just removed into the add-a-fuse. I used a 10amp fuse in the other slot to run the new guages. This picture also shows where I used my ground. (Sorry the pic is blurry, not the most comfortable position for photography).
series2028.jpg

Once all wires have been ran, carefully tape/zip tie everything away nicely. While installing the pod, make sure not to get any wires by the clips that hold the pod in. Turn the ignition on and the f.p. guage should reset itself. Turn on the light and see that your guages light up. Also, before you start the car, make sure you have no leaks where the fuel line has been added.

Enjoy.:beer:

Last edited:

BLK_03

Established Member
And here are some finished pics:

series2038.jpg

series2014.jpg

series2022.jpg

series2032.jpg

series2029.jpg

series2035.jpg

Last edited:

adam

Established Member
Awesome pics and descriptions on install...

Looking forward to bringing mine over to your house on Thursday!!

Looks great...

TRBO VNM

very nice writeup. full detail adn pics. thanks

i opted to cut a slit large enough in the rubber boot at the firewall to get the connector through without cutting any of the wires on the fuel pressure gauge. I actually cut it a tad small, used something as a lubricant and pushed it through.

I should have my pod today and will install tomorrow.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
That didn't take long. Great job on the writeup!

Tell me this, did you think it was tough to find a good angle to photograph the pillar once it was installed? I've been all over the interior of the mustang and it seems something blocks the "perfect" picture.

I sincerely hope you enjoy your new pillar. Remember to keep your eyes on the road!

Alan

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
This write up is awesome. You have saved alot time for alot of other people, and I for one appreciate it. Once everyone has had a chance to see this, this definately needs to reside in the MODS forum. Thanks again.........

RedCobraFire

Established Member
Wow what a great step by step install. The best gauge install I have seen. I will use it when I install my gauges. Excellent clear pictures with great instruction.

Quick question: Is the lower gauge cup supposed to be angled like that? Or am I just losing it.

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
Great write-up. I've been looking for something like this so I can do it myself. You've inspired me.

I vote for Mod forum too.

BLK_03

Established Member
Wow, thanks for all the appreciation!!! I wasn't sure if you guys would think, "how silly is this? Posting a guage install...", but I now see it was needed. I know when I searched for info in the past, it was hard to find all the answers to questions in one place. Hopefully this does it. I will be adding more pics/details on thusday.

BLK_03

Established Member
Originally posted by alanw6
That didn't take long. Great job on the writeup!

Tell me this, did you think it was tough to find a good angle to photograph the pillar once it was installed? I've been all over the interior of the mustang and it seems something blocks the "perfect" picture.

I sincerely hope you enjoy your new pillar. Remember to keep your eyes on the road!

Alan

Ha, well I worked on it until almost 4 in the morning last night.:nonono: Once I get started with something, I can't stop until it's finished.

It is tough to get a good pic. Between the focus/zoom of the camera and finding the ultimate angle to shoot the pic. The steering wheel, seat, or head rest is always in the way.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Originally posted by RedCobraFire
Wow what a great step by step install. The best gauge install I have seen. I will use it when I install my gauges. Excellent clear pictures with great instruction.

Quick question: Is the lower gauge cup supposed to be angled like that? Or am I just losing it.

That's the thing, it's not angled. This is why I asked about the pics (and if he had the same trouble getting a good shot).

Every time we take a pic of the gauge pillar in a car, the lower bullet looks like it is slightly out of alignment with the top one. I think because they are offset and have rounded edges, it's somewhat of a camera trick.

BLK_03, the gauges are straight, right? I know how you feel about staying up late on a project...

Alan

BLK_03

Established Member
Originally posted by alanw6
That's the thing, it's not angled. This is why I asked about the pics (and if he had the same trouble getting a good shot).

Every time we take a pic of the gauge pillar in a car, the lower bullet looks like it is slightly out of alignment with the top one. I think because they are offset and have rounded edges, it's somewhat of a camera trick.

BLK_03, the gauges are straight, right? I know how you feel about staying up late on a project...

Alan

The pods are straight. I think it is just an illusion. When looking at the pics above (especially the second picure with the guages installed), it appears off, but while sitting in the seat, there is no such problem...

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Originally posted by BLK_03
The pods are straight. I think it is just an illusion. When looking at the pics above (especially the second picure with the guages installed), it appears off, but while sitting in the seat, there is no such problem...

Glad it's not just me who experienced this while photographing the part. I think it is indeed a factor of the offset and the rounded edges of the bullet playing a trick on the camera.

We wouldn't have done all that work to ship some crooked gauge pods!

My business partner Mike (the resident tech expert) enjoyed your writeup as well, and commented that it's interesting to see how other people approach the same task. He's got the boost/fuel psi gauge install in the 03/04 Cobras down to about 1.5 hours.

Good job again, and maybe this helpful post will find its way into an area of the forum where it may benefit others.

Alan

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
only question i have is for those of us that have nitrous systems. i have a fuel pressure safety switch and am wondering how i would hook up the fuel guage to the end of the fuel rail. great write up!

BLK_03

Established Member
Not too much nitrous experience here, but I can tell you the fitting @ the fuel rail is a 1/16th NPT. You would need a fitting to go from that 1/16th to whatever fitting is on the fuel guage....I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread