Could Someone Please Explain How To Add Coolant After Draining The Coolant System?

ArcaneParadise

Established Member
Hello. I am going to drain and refill my coolant system. I know that there are a few guides out there on how to do it but I am having trouble understanding how to do it. Is there anyone out there that would please explain the process in plain English? I have a general idea on how to do it but I am still not sure. Any instruction will help. Thank you very much.

mosconiac

Established Member
In simplest terms....

1) There is a petcoc(k) at the bottom (passenger side, closest to motor) of the radiator. Open it to drain the fluid and close once empty.

2) Open the overfill tank and fill up to the line on the reservoir.

3) Open the coolant crossover (1/4" drive works), top off the fluid there, and close coolant crossover.

4) Run the car for a bit and shut it off.

5) Repeat steps 3) & 4) until no more fluid can be put in.

Hope this helps.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
mosconiac said:
In simplest terms....

1) There is a petcoc(k) at the bottom (passenger side, closest to motor) of the radiator. Open it to drain the fluid and close once empty.

2) Open the overfill tank and fill up to the line on the reservoir.

3) Open the coolant crossover (1/4" drive works), top off the fluid there, and close coolant crossover.

4) Run the car for a bit and shut it off.

5) Repeat steps 3) & 4) until no more fluid can be put in.

Hope this helps.
One additional step I have always done is to put a smear (not too much) of antisieze on the coolant crossover plug threads. It makes it easier to remove next time.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
ArcaneParadise said:
Do I close the Coolant Crossover part after Step Four (and open it later on again)?
Yes, but as dun4791 pointed out, only do it "finger tight" so you can get it back off if you need to add more.

I drive my front end up on ramps for the burping process. I have found that it helps burp the system easier with the front end up in the air.

SpectorV

Established Member
it would be best to drive it to make sure it doesnt have any air in the system, drive it then check for air and fill as needed, dotn want to change it then the next day it get hot and you cant drive it.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
ArcaneParadise said:
It says in the LFP instructions that it is necessary to keep the car on level ground during the burping process.
I've heard that too, but I've also heard that air will rise to the highest spot. With the front end up on ramps, the crossover tube would be the highest point in the system. Unless that postion forms a trap somewhere towards the back of the system (or possibly in the front end of the heads), it seems that it would be best in this position. I always drive araound a bit after burping, and get the engine hot. Then park in the garage and check again the next day. So far, I have not had to add more, and I've done it twice on the 03 and many times on the 98 (BTW, the 98 configuration is a little bit different than the 03 in the placement of the crossover tube, but not by much).

I say, go with what works best for you and check it again the next day to be sure.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
When burping i always leave the pulg out the whole time. Let it run and keep it full the whole time. Watch how much air comes out A LOT! I think this is the best method as the air will all rise to this spot and if you have it closed off most off the time its just going to go back around. Also make sure the car gets up to temp. so the water circulates good.

Users who are viewing this thread