Draining Intercooler Fluid

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
This is my first car that has a supercharger and I was wondering if I can drain and add the intercooler fluid the same as I would the radiator? When draining the intercooler fluid is there a drain plug just like a radiator would have. The reason I ask is because when I bought my car I noticed they put what looks like some cheap fluid in the radiator and intercooler resevoirs. I want to flush it out and add my own in there and I dont want to bother taking it.

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Passenger side of the Heat exchanger, back side of it. Compress and slide the metal clip back, remove hose. Blow in the top of the IC Reservoir wit air compressor. Kinda make a seal with your hand over it , then use the air. Thsi will drain the hoses and IC and HE, also make a hell o a mess if you don't put a pan to catch it all.

Fill it back up. Important yo click here too pump jumper

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
what does the pump jumper do??
also, are you guys using the standard replacement fluid for the intercooler, or something better?? water wetter??
thanks guys

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
kirks5oh said:
what does the pump jumper do??
also, are you guys using the standard replacement fluid for the intercooler, or something better?? water wetter??
thanks guys

The jumper turns the pump on to make sure the fluid is flowing properly and not air locked.
You can also do this at the track to cool things down.
I use the Ford Gold anti freeze. This is standard equiptment on most Cobra's.
I use Water Wetter also. Does it work? Not sure but for $10 it might be added insurance.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
thanks guys
is there somewhere you can buy the jumper wire, or do most of you guys just make one on your own??

Last edited:

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
Senkak said:
The jumper turns the pump on to make sure the fluid is flowing properly and not air locked.
You can also do this at the track to cool things down.
I use the Ford Gold anti freeze. This is standard equiptment on most Cobra's.
I use Water Wetter also. Does it work? Not sure but for $10 it might be added insurance.

WHo carries the Ford Gold Anti freeze besides going to Ford to buy it? And you put this in the intercooler and radiator?

Sharkster

Established Member
lucafu1 said:
no one.
yes
you guys are running it in your radiator as well?
How much does the charger require (capacity wise) and are you guys running a fluid/distilled water mix is 72/25, 50/50 or just 100% fluid?

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
If you plan on doing a lot of severe duty driving, I would go with at least a 60/40 mix of coolant/water in the intercooler, it'll help pull alittle more heat from the air charge after the supercharger. You can do this to your engines cooling system for the same reason, also.

Users who are viewing this thread