**** Around >>> Find Out

Call me Chief

Established Member
Ran into the exact same bullshit at the Dragon. I was in front in the GT350, my brother behind in his Mustang GT, and then like 6 or 8 sport bikes. We were flying and caught up to a harley (Chopper) dude and his old lady. They never went above 40. The bikes behind us started blowing their horns, guy wouldn't pull over until (finally) the last mile. Then at the turn around at the bottom, he started yelling to us to **** off as he drove past, funny his old lady was hitting him in the side to stop. We just laughed it off.
There are two basic un-written rules of the Dragon.
1. If someone wants to go faster, pull over in one of the pull offs and let them go.
2. Never cross the double yellow in corners for the safety of the guy coming the other way going balls out.
By the sounds of it, we had both infractions from opposite sides of this group.
I suppose if you have a bike or a fast(ish) car you should do the Dragon, but honestly I did it once and would never go again. Too many people at too many skill levels trying to occupy the same space at the same time. Head on collisions bike v. car, bike v. bike, car v. car; people just straight up driving off the paved surface; people fighting over someone else's actions. And every now and then some douchebag truck driver thinks he can save an hour of road time. Nope. Not worth it.
OIP.x7My4A2YuitekfoB2IM3BgHaEB

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Morally, Id say yes and no.

In a perfect world where you could trust your opponent to be honorable, yes.

Unfortunately, with no such guarantee, Im not relying on “thoughts and prayers” to keep the other guys from stomping my head in after the fact.

Legally, it gets tricky. Likely not justified, since there was no huge disparity of force and the other guy “appeared” to have halted his attack once the other guy was down.
Yeah, I teach conceal carry and he would not get away with it. You have to believe your life was in danger, you can't use escalation of force and a reasonable person (the whole jury in other words) would have had to agree with the life in danger part.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
I suppose if you have a bike or a fast(ish) car you should do the Dragon, but honestly I did it once and would never go again. Too many people at too many skill levels trying to occupy the same space at the same time. Head on collisions bike v. car, bike v. bike, car v. car; people just straight up driving off the paved surface; people fighting over someone else's actions. And every now and then some douchebag truck driver thinks he can save an hour of road time. Nope. Not worth it.
OIP.x7My4A2YuitekfoB2IM3BgHaEB

BTDT

So many other good, if not better, roads in the area. But if you must go, if weather allows go mid May, mid week, mid morning.

Users who are viewing this thread