Fuel crisis in GA

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
Well, you may or may not know, but fuel is tough to come by in GA right now, much less premium. My cobra is my daily driver and it is impossible to find premium fuel anywhere close to my area. I was wondering, will it be okay to run 87 octane as long as I drive conservatively and stay out of boost? If not, is there anything I can do to make it safe (toluene mixture)? For those of you that are in the ATL. area and are in the same predicament, what are you doing?

Last edited:

y0rascal

I admit to being a Newbie
Established Member
yes as long as you drive as a grandma you will be fine, however you can get your 87 octane and purchase octane boosters to help off set, but i do not recommend with octane boosters driving your car pretty hard.

straightliner1

Established Member
If you keep your foot out of it yes you can run 87. Another option is to add some 104+ octane booster to your tank of 87 if you're worried about it.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
True True!! I can't find premium to save my life out here in Dallas/Marietta. Buddy of mine waited an hour and fifteen minutes in line to get fuel the other day. I'm just happy the G/F and I work separate schedules so I can bum her Civic to go back and forth to work.

scancion

Established Member
True True!! I can't find premium to save my life out here in Dallas/Marietta. Buddy of mine waited an hour and fifteen minutes in line to get fuel the other day. I'm just happy the G/F and I work separate schedules so I can bum her Civic to go back and forth to work.

Hey main I live in Dallas too. I have been getting up early in the morning and getting gas from the Quick trip or the kroger right next it on 278/61

scancion

Established Member
What's the deal, why the shortage in your area?

****ing people thinks its the end of the world and as soon as a gas station gets gas they bum rush that shit and bring every freaking gas can they own. Its bullshit people just need to calm down and it wouldnt be so bad. They are filling up every time they drop to 3/4's a tank.

jesusphreak

Newby For Life
Established Member
Down here in houston I have no problem getting gas, regular or premium.
I guess I should say thanks for everyone else sending gas this way? lol
Gas has gone down now to where it was before the hurricane, around 3.4x, it got up to 3.6x for a bit but thats as high as I paid.

MachsFastr

Established Member
Here in the big metropolis of Macon, we have plenty o'gas. But I ain't been out since Friday. Might go to work tomorrow **cough cough** if I feel better. ;-)

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
True for some reason I think they should turn off the News for awhile because these asshole talking about Wall street and gas prices and whatever else is making people crazy. Its almost like the media is Brain washing people (ok so I went alittle to far on that last one.)

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Hey main I live in Dallas too. I have been getting up early in the morning and getting gas from the Quick trip or the kroger right next it on 278/61

How early is early? I work nights up on Barrett. Theres a couple places around there that have no lines, but only w/ 87. I might shoot up to the QT in a bit in the Civic and see whats going on. I'll wait till around 10 or so.

01VNMS4v

T-E-X-A-S!!
Established Member
Yea I herd the story CNN did today, you guys in GA especially in Atlanta are really screwed on gas.

Glad I live in Texas, well San Antonio we have no shortage at all

Lightning247

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Established Member
It's actually not just in Ga.

Asheville NC is out of gas, Western Carolina University cancelled class today because there was no gas for commuter students/teachers to get to school.

I live in Greenville, SC. and I only know of 1 gas station near me (Laurens/Woodruff area) that has Gas. I just passed by after class and there were 40+ cars lined up to get fuel.

All other stations are out, BP has been out since last Wednesday.

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
What's the deal, why the shortage in your area?

From what I gather, since Atlanta has such a high population of assholes living here, we get a "cleaner" blend of fuel than other cities. On top of that, we have a "summer blend" and a "winter blend". Summer being cleaner than the winter.

I think it has something to do with Atlanta gets our fuel from the gulf where the other big cities get theirs from other places. I dunno, its a bunch of bullshit but its been going on for like 2 weeks and they say its gonna be like this for another couple weeks...bullshit I say, bullshit

Down here in houston I have no problem getting gas, regular or premium.
I guess I should say thanks for everyone else sending gas this way? lol
Gas has gone down now to where it was before the hurricane, around 3.4x, it got up to 3.6x for a bit but thats as high as I paid.

ugh, you make me sick...lol:beer: The last time I saw premium here it was $4.49...

So, I filled up w/87....I really don't want to talk about it because I feel like I'm cheating on my gf by doing that to my Cobra, but she's my daily and I really don't have a choice. I drove to and from work today (26 miles round trip) and not once did I get over 2500RPMs. Talk about testing my self control.

I started reading up on doing a mixture of Toluene with the gasoline and came to the conclusion that I could take 10.7 gal of 87 octane gasoline and mix it with 5 gal of toluene and magically have a tank containing about 94 octane. The artical I was reading said that toluene ran about $6/gal....well, when I searched for a price, the cheapest I could find it was $17.99/gal...F*CK THAT!

I guess I'll just be driving Miss Daisy until this shit blows over...

Lightning247

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Established Member
Just FYI but engines are most prone to detonation at low RPM/High load situations (ie WOT @ low rpms in 5th gear). If any of you guys are running aggressive tunes, or have some type of forced induction i'd be very careful about running 87 at all.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
plenty of gas here. the cheapest is 3.44 according to gasbuddy.com. hopefully they get this sorted out soon for you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread