Warranty question.

sabre24667

Team Ramrod
Established Member
Does anyone have mods on there cars but still have warranty or extended warranty? If you do, does it void your warranty? I bought my car and was having warranty work done on it and it apparently had a lower pulley and throttle body on it. Should I keep the mods or have them revert it to stock?

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
If they already know you have the mods removing them won't do any good now that they have probably "tagged" your file with a note. As to your original question, "does it void your warranty"? That is a judgment call on the part of the dealership/service manager overseeing the warranty work being performed. Some dealerships will give you a hard time and others won't.

Romans8:28

Established Member
Your warranty is a good (or bad) as the dealer you take it too....

Always search out "mod-friendly" dealers if you have mods that could be a issue.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
...was having warranty work done on it and it apparently had a lower pulley and throttle body on it.
So what happened? Did they deny your warranty claim, or did they tell you to bring the car back in when it had been put back to stock? :??:

sabre24667

Team Ramrod
Established Member
The dealership I bought it from accidentally sold me the car with those mods on the car. Their inspection wasnt very good because they missed those mods. I bought a extended warranty with the car. I went to have warranty work done on the car and they found the mods. So the dealership gave me the following options: Leave the parts on and it will only void the engine part of the warranty, or they can revert the car to factory spec and engine will be covered again. I planned on modding the car eventually anyways but Im not quite sure what type of throttle body or what size pulley is on the car. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
keep the mod parts, have them revert your car back to stock, get your money's worth out of that warranty and just toss on the mod parts when you are not gettin work done at a dealership... and if you have to get work done... put the stock junk back on... but heres the catch. Most ford dealerships will say your warranty doesnt cover because you were beating on your car anyway. regardless if u actually did or not.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
...the dealership gave me the following options:

...Leave the parts on and it will only void the engine part of the warranty
...or revert the car to factory spec and engine will be covered again.
That's a pretty generous offer if this is a Ford extended warranty. I give your dealer credit for standing behind the car they sold you. :thumbsup:

If I were in your shoes, I'd let them put it back to stock and drive it for awhile with a warranty. Just make sure they put a stock tune back in when they do the mechanical work. You never know how the car was treated before you bought it. It wouldn't be cool if you needed to replace a short block because of a poor choice of mods by the previous owner.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I agree with Top Fuel. Let them revert to stock. I would ask to keep the modded parts for later. I just got the Ford ESP on mine in December. I went to dealership and complained about the exhaust being rusty. They called SVT division of Ford and they told them to replace it. They have received one side but we are waiting on the other. They did inform me again that even replacing the exhaust with non OEM parts puts the car in voidable waarranty status because it creates more hp and possiblity of breakage. HA HA.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
One question, if they revert the parts to stock, are they going to charge you for that or do it for free?

If they are going to charge you, it could cost nearly as much as the extended warranty was. In that case, I'd ask for a refund of the extended warranty and just leave the parts in place. Then take that boy to a good dyno shop with wideband and get it dyno tuned.

If they are going to do it for free (since it was their mistake in the first place), then I'd ask for the take-off parts, but wouldn't hold my breath expecting them to turn them back over. I'd also take that boy to a good dyno shop with wideband and get it dyno tuned before beating on it.

Good luck.

sabre24667

Team Ramrod
Established Member
One question, if they revert the parts to stock, are they going to charge you for that or do it for free?

If they are going to charge you, it could cost nearly as much as the extended warranty was. In that case, I'd ask for a refund of the extended warranty and just leave the parts in place. Then take that boy to a good dyno shop with wideband and get it dyno tuned.

If they are going to do it for free (since it was their mistake in the first place), then I'd ask for the take-off parts, but wouldn't hold my breath expecting them to turn them back over. I'd also take that boy to a good dyno shop with wideband and get it dyno tuned before beating on it.

Good luck.

Yes they are reverting it back to stock for free. But they said they would not give me the aftermarket parts. They said the car seems to have a aftermarket clutch on it as well. They will be giving the car a full inspection and will give me a list of what aftermarket parts are on the car. Ill keep you guys updated.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Yes they are reverting it back to stock for free. But they said they would not give me the aftermarket parts. They said the car seems to have a aftermarket clutch on it as well. They will be giving the car a full inspection and will give me a list of what aftermarket parts are on the car. Ill keep you guys updated.

Offer to buy the parts from them after it's all done...

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
Sabre, which dealership is it,
I need to get some warrenty work done on Mine , but I really don't want to bring to my selling dealer.
Let me know , Also do you ever, do the Tower shops on Friday night

Users who are viewing this thread