Stalling on decel/braking with clutch in

MustangThief

Established Member
Is this the "stall" issue?

My car is doing it more and more frequently, and it's gonna get my ass hit.

When coming to a stop, depending on how hard I hit the brake, the RPMs will drop too low to come back, and stall out. Usually, they'll drop to 200-300 and rev back up to 600-700 then settle at my 800RPM idle. Sometimes I won't have any issue with it, and as soon as I press the clutch, it will go right to idle.

But it's definitely based off clutch depressed and how hard I'm braking... my car has never stalled during normal idle, only when coming to a stop. and I've noticed if I see the RPMs dogging out while coming to a stop, if I let up on the brake, and press it lighter, they'll come back up easier.

I don't think it's my IAC, but I'm going to be checking it when I have free time after this work week.

Thing is, if this is the "stall" issue... I have a SCT Xcal2 so a dealer reflash wouldn't help me out, correct? Is this something that they flash to the computer that doesn't affect the tune that the handheld flashes over?

I just wanna get this taken care of ASAP, as cruising through town, stalling at every other light unless I regulate the gas is bullshit.

Last edited:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Base tune used by SCT has the "stall" fix. If you're having an increasing problem, it implies something is wrong. IAC is an excellent bet, but also check your TB- if it's gummed up it can stop all airflow at normal idle setting, making idle air totally dependent on IAC.

Asd60303

Lead. Never Follow
Established Member
I had this problem on my old cobra, it almost got my ass rear-ended a few times. I sold the car before I ever found out what the problem was.

s/c stang

Established Member
had the same problem here...took it to my tuner and explained and he fixed it hasn't stalled til the date.. Several cobras are known to do this

MustangThief

Established Member
I called my tuner, he said he believes my computer is a "AZ2" or something i couldn't remember the exact code he used, but he said he knows they have a AZ3 or later computer model that he may have to rebuild my tune off of. He suggested I drop it off and he'll take it out and road test it a bit and see if he can tweak some parameters to see if he can resolve it.

He also suggested I reload my tune to see if this is a "learned" behavior, and if it starts happening again after awhile after i reload my tune and it is something that the car is picking up as a bad habit.

I'll probably drop it off to him in a few weeks, and see if he can resolve it. He's definitely a smart guy.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Who tunes your car? My tuner did not have to road test mine to fix that problem. As a matter of fact he sent me a mail order tune which has worked great based on cars he did w/ similiar mods.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I think that there is an AMZ1 and AMZ2 processor code. I am not sure about an AMZ3.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Anytime a tuner says "fool" I get a little scared.

-Jeff

chopps

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Anytime a tuner says "fool" I get a little scared.

-Jeff

Right but, every car is not the same and they all take just a little diff tuning somethimes I assume just like racecars no one formula works all cars !

Last edited:

VoodooSNK

Established Member
AMZ1 and AMZ2 were the last two calibrations loaded in '04 Cobra's from the factory if I remember correctly. '03's came with either QUD2, YDH0, or YDH1 consecutively.

MustangThief

Established Member
Jeff Chambers @ CRT performance tunes my snake

www.crt-performance.com

Smart guy, works days as a rocket scientist for NASA. Tunes cars from 5-9 everyday after work.

I'm not a fan of mail order tunes, even after dyno tuning to check the A/F, I like to watch the tuner adjust and modify, and I can see him making progress and flattening out my curves etc. etc. I looked around for a bit, and really considered going to Akron Horsepower, but went with CRT after i had him dyno my car and talked with him for about an hour.

They also have a nice deal, where I bought my SCT Xcal2 from them for 500 instead of 400, paid 250 for the original dyno tune, and all retunes after are free. He will retune the car as I mod it for free, just set up an appointment.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I would again encourage your to check and clean your IAC and TB before you do anything else. If this is an increasing problem, it means something is changing with your car, and it makes sense to address the primary issue before trying to tune around it.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
VoodooSNK said:
AMZ1 and AMZ2 were the last two calibrations loaded in '04 Cobra's from the factory if I remember correctly. '03's came with either QUD2, YDH0, or YDH1 consecutively.

AMZ2 was never used in production...

sho95

Established Member
i have the same problem with my car.
the newest tune with the stall fix is on it.
replaced the IAC.
cleaned the maf sensor
still stalls and almost gets me killed.(not driving it until i find the problem.)

Herman was saying in another post that one of the tune parameters could be adjusted. Something about a dashdecay rate or something.

I am trying to get my laptop to run livewire so i can datalog and send my tuner the results. Then he can have a look at it but LIVELINK and VISTA arent very compatible by the looks of things

Last edited:

wlg101190

Established Member
I had that same problem one time when mine was stock, my air filter cone itself, was hanging off the air intake house, and it fixed it perfect :-D.

sho95

Established Member
Not sure if anyone can have a quick look at my log
the rpm fluctuatuion started happening at the end of the log. The first bit of the log is me just driving the car and then i poush the clutch in coming to a stop then the rpm bounce. this time it didnt shut off though.
http://www.mediafire.com/?1mjdwm09i0x

Users who are viewing this thread