Stock for Stock. 1999 Camaro SS vs. 2003 Mach 1 (and a surprise)

tpduke112

Rich Man's Cavalier
Established Member
Copied from my post on ls1tech.

Welp, I finally got that race in that I was talking about a while ago. Interesting story leads up to it though.

I am at home seafoaming my car (thanks ChocoTaco!). When my friend pulls up in his 03 Mach 1. He decides to stick around and help me a bit with the cleaning process. After we finish, we go out to take my car for its "spirited" run. The smoke was freaking awesome. So we take it down the interstate from one exit to the next, and I decide to let my friend drive my car for a little bit because he wanted to try out the ls1. Low and behold, as soon as he gets behind the wheel, a SN-95 Cobra pulls up (we are on a two lane highway leading back into our town). He looks over at me and ask me if I am cool with it. I give him the O.K., knowing that the first street race in my car isnt going to be done by me . Anyway, it pulls like a bat out of hell on the Cobra. I know it had at least exhaust, but I honestly feel like it could have been a GT, with a complete Cobra switch the way that my car pulled.

After this, we are both a bit excited (giving all the praise to the seafoam). He decided that he wanted to see what the Mach 1 would do against the SS. After me riding in the passenger side of his car, him riding in mine, and him driving mine, we both felt that it would be extremely close.

The Cars
1999 Camaro SS
-Mods-Whisper Lid, K&N filter

2003 Mustang Mach 1
-Mods-Midpipe, Flowmaster Exhaust

-Race 1- 10 MPH-Top of second
He pulled about a half to 3/4's of a car on me out of the hole. We held steady right there until I went to shift into 3rd and missed.

-Race 2- 45-top of second
This race was as even as even can get. Seriously, until he missed 3rd, there was no movement either way.

-Race 3- 40-110
This race was also extremely close. He was at my door when we let off.

-Summary
When we pulled over to talk about the results, both of us were a little surprised. We both honestly thought the other one would pull. My honest observation is that the ls1 top end isnt significantly greater than the Mach's (at least at 110 or quartermile area), and the Mach 1's bottom end isnt that much greater than the SS. We are going to do this again later on this week, and I will have another story to tell. I am just sad that the first real kill in my car came without me behind the wheel...............

Mach 1 vs. LS1=Driver's Race. Who would have thought it?

Last edited:

tpduke112

Rich Man's Cavalier
Established Member
malibu78 said:
Once you learn the in and outs of that stick look out it won't even be close.
Your saying that I am going to pull him? I dont know, his top end really doesnt seem that bad.

Bad06SS

Established Member
Nice post. I have to agree however, that once you get more "seat time", you should be able to beat him everytime. Maybe not by 2-3 cars or anything like that, but you out in front. Also, I think his mods do more for his car than just a lid/filter does for the LS1. :)

tpduke112

Rich Man's Cavalier
Established Member
Bad06SS said:
Nice post. I have to agree however, that once you get more "seat time", you should be able to beat him everytime. Maybe not by 2-3 cars or anything like that, but you out in front. Also, I think his mods do more for his car than just a lid/filter does for the LS1. :)
thats ok. I got a custom catback in the mail, so at least my car will sound as mean as his. haha.

tpduke112

Rich Man's Cavalier
Established Member
I also hope nothing is wrong with my car, because I still think his was a bit stronger. Nothing major, but I would honestly say his was a tad but stronger.

BayareaSS

Established Member
Good story and runs!

His mid pipe and exhaust helps his car more than your lid/filter helps your car. But for the most part it will be a drivers race every time.

Try and get the next runs on vid!

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Cool story, and this is the outcome that should be expected. Both cars equally modded with exhaust, and the LS1 would probably come out on top by a little. Race again when you have exhaust and post the results.

tpduke112

Rich Man's Cavalier
Established Member
silverstang00 said:
Cool story, and this is the outcome that should be expected. Both cars equally modded with exhaust, and the LS1 would probably come out on top by a little. Race again when you have exhaust and post the results.
I will, and hopefully, I will remember to bring my camera home with me. I go to school 2 hours away at UT and I am just home for the 4th. We are going to run again later this week after he changes his oil, I change my oil and make sure that I have ran all the seafoam out of my car. I will post the results then as well.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
tpduke112 said:
any reason for this?

Props to you for posting this! I think many people make biased statements without any real inforamtion to base it on. Some simply base it on a single run with one single car.
I still say that the LSX platform is one car/motor I would not mind loosing to becuase it is a very worthy opponent!:thumbsup:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I expected the LS1 to pull up top, especially since its a 6spd. I guess my car is a lot slower than your buddies Mach.:shrug:

tpduke112

Rich Man's Cavalier
Established Member
black99lightnin said:
I expected the LS1 to pull up top, especially since its a 6spd. I guess my car is a lot slower than your buddies Mach.:shrug:
or my car isnt running perfect?:shrug: I dont feel like we ever really made it up top though......

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
tpduke112 said:
or my car isnt running perfect?:shrug: I dont feel like we ever really made it up top though......
You should get an LS6 intake manifold. You will notice a nice difference with it . Good race. Its fun when a race is even but then at the same time it is the most frustrating thing possible. If it's not running right you might want to get a tune.

Last edited:

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
Good race.:thumbsup:
Thats not far from what I would expect the outcome to be. In a full 1/4, Id put the SS a car or so ahead and pulling. Thats where the "big cubes" pay off.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread