GT500 cams = Ford GT cams

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I agree with you about it. But how much would the heads alone account for the peak power?

9.4 peak psi stock. hmm.

I how many CFM's is that blower flowing? I am just wondering how much boost that would be on a Terminator with eqalized exhaust and intake restrictions. Gotta be some way to figure that out.

With a reflash and about 560 fwhp, it does seem to present that this may be closer to the Ford GT output than we originally thought. maybe Ford decided to swap the cams at the last minute.... It seems very likely.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
By looking at the factory delivered RWHP #'s of the '00 Cobra "R" and the '03 Cobra should give you some indication of the efficiency of the 5.4 heads? :read:

What I'm getting at here are the numbers were quite close in stock form and one motor had a supercharger on it and the other didn't. Granted the "R" had more agressive cams than the '03.

IMHO the 5.4 head is a LOT more efficient than some may give it credit for? :coolman:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I hate to speculate. But I am torn between both ideas.

Fourcam330

Established Member
They were GT cams all along, Ford just didn't want to piss off GT owners by giving us a duplicate of their H/C package.
The heads would be more of an issue if there weren't a PD blower sitting on top--remember this is still the stock roots pos vs. the GTs twin screw there has to be even more of a difference up top after a TS swap. The new castings are no doubt better (310/[email protected]" vs. 255/[email protected]") but they also have to fill 50 extra cubes with the same bore and intake valve/seat sizing. In general a 5.4 will need at least 10 extra deg. of duration @ .050 vs. a similar 4.6.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
JETSOLVER said:
Could this result from just the improvemnt in flow from the redesigned blower?

Not IMO. 184/194 @ .050 with .394" lift sticks have no chance of making power at 6500rpm+ on a 5.4.

Jeff will tell you how much the new blower sucks ;-)

Last edited:

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Not IMO. 184/194 @ .050 with .394" lift sticks have no chance of making power at 6500rpm+ on a 5.4.

Jeff will tell you how much the new blower sucks ;-)
Thanks. I'm going to reinvestigate the part numbers I have seen posted elsewhere that seemed to confirm the cams as 03/04 terms. I love it when this place sticks to reasoned,practical discussion!(As opposed to the other crap that was happening for a while):rockon:

Fourcam330

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
A blower that sucks? :shrug: I thought blowers created pressure?!! ;-) :lol: :p

I guess it all depends which side of the blower you measure pressure on;-) :p :beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Stupid sucking blower...

Stick a TS on it. Then you have a compressor. Much better :)

Fourcam330

Established Member
JETSOLVER said:
Thanks. I'm going to reinvestigate the part numbers I have seen posted elsewhere that seemed to confirm the cams as 03/04 terms. I love it when this place sticks to reasoned,practical discussion!(As opposed to the other crap that was happening for a while):rockon:

Take a look at a stock Ford GT dyno graph (or with just a tune) to add more fuel to the fire. The curves look very similar despite the increased drivetrain loss (7% for GT vs. 12-15% for GT500) and more inefficient blower that the GT500 uses. Both motors have nearly identical static C/Rs 8.4:1 for GT500 vs. 8.5:1 for GT (this may end up being identical as well, we'll see over time) and the GT exhaust has to be less restrictive overall than the GT500s.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am not going to say 100% that they are the GT cams. Mainly because I want to be able to say that I still kinda-sorta thought they were the 03/04 sticks if indeed they are. But, having said that...I am 99.99% sure after looking over everything a little closer that these are GT cams...but I don't know if I agree that they were always using the GT cams (if they are using them).

Did I leave myself open enough? :)

There is so much misinformation from Ford about this car that it is verging on criminal.

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
HISSMAN said:

There is so much misinformation from Ford about this car that it is verging on criminal.
HISSMAN for president! Seems like you have practice making everyone happy. :beer: Does anyone have the Ford part# for the GT cams? Please/Thanks

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I term what the supercharger does by it's position relative to the Throttle body. In front of the TB it is a blower...behind it, well it is a little whore that likes to suck. :)

(compress)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
HISSMAN said:
I term what the supercharger does by it's position relative to the Throttle body. In front of the TB it is a blower...behind it, well it is a little whore that likes to suck. :)

(compress)

Now I REALLY can't wait for the car!?! :-D

Fourcam330

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I am not going to say 100% that they are the GT cams. Mainly because I want to be able to say that I still kinda-sorta thought they were the 03/04 sticks if indeed they are. But, having said that...I am 99.99% sure after looking over everything a little closer that these are GT cams...but I don't know if I agree that they were always using the GT cams (if they are using them).

Forget President, you're next in line for SVTP Press Secretary. ;-)

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Forget President, you're next in line for SVTP Press Secretary. ;-)
We don't want him to have any real power do we?:-D To get back on track here, does the GT head respond to the exhaust changes in any trend type way with the FRPP exhaust? And do you have any idea re the ablilty to stretch the rev limiter another couple of hundred revs?

Users who are viewing this thread