Hood Vent Modification?

Brad

Banned
No pics but here is the how-to...

Open the hood, grab the corner of the hood blanket, pull and remove, set aside, close hood.

Unless you're not talking about the heat extractor in which case you're on your own.. :dw:

Last edited:

Brad

Banned
If you're lucky enough to have the underside of your hood painted it looks awesome with that cover off. Wax the underside of your hood and you're good to go.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I did my hood mod nearly three years ago and feel it's an effective way to assist in extracting hot air from the engine compartment.

1) Remove blanket
2) Remove plastic vent covers
3) Put blanket back on, but only secure with 2 to 3 hold down pins
4) Lower the hood and through the top of the hood, take a pen and mark the desired outline of the opening through the vent opening.
5) Remove blanket again and using a razor, cut out the opening to the desired size. Try to round the corners as much as possible.
6) Hang the blanket by the ground strap and paint the entire face of the blanket with a high quality flat black paint or the color of your choice
7) Using Flextrim from a boat supply store, begin installing on the new hood blanket opening. When you get to the last run, carefully figure how long to leave the tail of the Flextrim and cut so that it fits snuggly to the opposite end.
8) Repeat for other hood vent opening.
9) Reinstall blanket onto underside of hood.

Last edited:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Brad said:
If you're lucky enough to have the underside of your hood painted it looks awesome with that cover off. Wax the underside of your hood and you're good to go.

+1. I pulled my hood blanket last week and I love the way it looks. :beer:

1fastsrt-4

Established Member
Rick James said:
+1. I pulled my hood blanket last week and I love the way it looks. :beer:

I just carved out more of an opening around the heat extracters then broke off the black plastic part well didnt' mean to broke the first one on accident then wanted to matchso ripped the second one off.. I park it in the garage and it never sees rain so thinking the wide openness won't do much harm..

Brad

Banned
1fastsrt-4 said:
I just carved out more of an opening around the heat extracters then broke off the black plastic part well didnt' mean to broke the first one on accident then wanted to matchso ripped the second one off.. I park it in the garage and it never sees rain so thinking the wide openness won't do much harm..

Even if you're in the rain it's not going to do much, that hood blanket isn't designed to keep rain etc out.. it's so if the motor catches fire it keeps the fire below the hood.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
Brad said:
Even if you're in the rain it's not going to do much, that hood blanket isn't designed to keep rain etc out.. it's so if the motor catches fire it keeps the fire below the hood.

That blanket is there to insulate the hood and paint on it from engine heat.
If there is a fire that blanket and hood will go up like charcoals.
If you live in a hot climate and the the motor gets hot enough the paint on the hood may have issues.

blwn88cpe

Established Member
Just did the hood mod like IronTerp. Wanted to remove the entire blanket but my hood was not painted. It was very easy to do. :beer:

GA Terminator

Established Member
I pulled the blanket out, painted the underside of my hood and put the Billet Flow vents on, I must say it looks great

04CobraMatt

Established Member
How many of you guys use your cars as DD.

I have the K&N fipk genII, it will get soaked in the rain (or when i wash my car) if i do this mod...

What about getting the S/C nozzle wet? that cant be good for slipping...

PDubs

Established Member
(DD, Steeda CAI) I yanked my blanket off and opened the vetns for the past year or so, no problems in the rain.

ZXMustang

Banned
JSpeed said:
That blanket is there to insulate the hood and paint on it from engine heat.
If there is a fire that blanket and hood will go up like charcoals.
If you live in a hot climate and the the motor gets hot enough the paint on the hood may have issues.

Sorry my friend, you are incorrect. The hood blanket is a FIRE blanket. If there is an engine fire, the plastic push in pins that hold it to the underside of the hood will melt and drop the blanket on the fire causing it to snuff the fire out. I used to sell ford vehicles at my local dealership, and thats straight from the training/product information videos that sales people have to learn to sell the vehicles. Those are the facts. Yank the blanket off, and never look back.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Just trimmed the underside insulation and modified the vents. Very cool mod...much more heat escapes now and it does look pretty trick!!!

BTW, I was looking at a 2007 Shelby the other day and the stock vents on that thing look just like our modified vents. The coolness factor of this mod just went up after seeing that!!!

I want to take off the underhood insulation completely but some of you guys claim that the paint will get screwed up. Does anyone know someone that actually screwed up their paint???

I must admit the Cobra gets pretty hot under the hood and the insulation uses an aluminum material on one side...this leads me to believe that the insulation should stay???

Any opinions???

Later...Dave

Users who are viewing this thread