Blowing a 2005 GT: Can it handle it?

NinoAvila

Who's awesome....YOU ARE!
Established Member
Just curious, I'm rather new to the whole modding scene. I'd like to ask a few questions.

Will my '05 GT withstand a SC/turbo in the long run (7-10 years)? I have heard about "forged internals" and "Forged lowers" and what not. I am fairly confident the '05s did't come with anything forged on it. Do I need it if I'm not running SUPER high boost?

Next question:
I'm not looking for the fastest/meanest ride in the land. I know that they have different types of power-adders (SC/Turbo); Even different types of the same (sc= roots & centrifigual). Which is cheaper and why?

I haven't run my ride on a dyno, but you can read my mod-list in the sig. I would guess it to be at or around 300hp??? I'd be happy with anything over 400hp :)

Any advice or insight you have in blowin' an 05 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Nino

Last edited:

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
There really isn't much knowledge yet on how much the stock internals can take and what not so i wouldn't know how much boost to go. Just if you do, make sure you get a safe tune from a respectable tuner. Seems as if centri blowers as a package are cheaper. Don't know why but I have no problem with mine. :) Just stay around 8-10psi, intercooled would be safer, and a safe tune and hopefully everything will be fine for that car for years to come.

Fourcam330

Established Member
The stock hypereuctectic pistons and PM rods suck just as badly as previous generations. The crank is still cast.
If you're planning a power adder combination that you want to live more than a few weekends a year, you'll need at least forged rods (under 750 continuous flywheel HP and you can get away with 4340 H beams ala Manley, Eagle with 7/16" ARP 2000 rod bolts), quality forged pistons (CP), and a forged crank. While you're at it, throw in ARP longblock hardware, better bearings & rings, and do something about the shitty stock oiling system. The ultimate solution is an external wet sump (or dry sump if you have $3100 eating a hole in your pocket) setup, especially in light of the recent billet oil pump gear findings.
Some blower setups are cheaper than others because they come with less parts--i.e. intercooler, injectors, chip, etc. Some are internally oiled, some use your engines oil. Do your homework, or pick an engine builder you trust and have him make the decision.
I happen to be an ATI fan (except the 03/04 Cobra kit). They are intercooled, and self contained with regard to oiling. A P1SC would get you to 500 flywheel HP (425rwhp), however a D1 would do the same with a better curve and the potential to hit 900hp.

Last edited:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
I totally disagree with the post above. My 4.6L equipped Marauder has stock non-forged internals, and has been pushing 400 HP to the wheels(with 9.5 PSIof boost) for the last 14,000 miles, and the last 12 months. It's all in the engine tune. If the engine tuner in question goes too lean with the tune in order to get more power out of the engine, then it will be more prone to ping, asnd will eventually destrot pistons, and/or a head gasket despite what pistons you have (forged or cast).

There are many other Marauder owners(70 total) on the Marauder board who have the same supercharger as I have in mine, and who also haven't touched the bottom end of their engines, and the engines are all holding up well. The one exception to that rule is a guy in Texas who enetered his Marauder in some type of roadcourse race that was about 3.5 hours long!!! He blew his engine, but I think that with a three hour long pounding like his car endured, many factory stock engines could've bit the dust too.There are also rumors that he tampered with the engine tune that came with the supercharger.

Many of us other supercharged Marauder guys take our cars to the drag strip, and drive them real hard on the street too, and our engines have held up just fine.My car is my daily driver, and gets me back and forth to work as well as raced at the dragstrip. My friend John's supercharged Marauder now has over 50,000 miles on it, and the engine is just fine, and putting down 460 HP to the wheels. But all of us have conservative engine tunes which is included in with this supercharger kit that we all have in the chip that it comes with. And that is the required ingredient to a supercharged engine's longevity. A SAFE engine tune. This supercharger kit that I'm talking about is offered by Trilogy Motorsports, and thay now are making a supercharger kit for the 2005 Mustang GT.

I'd also like to point out that you've mentioned that your Mustang would Dyno at 300 HP, and that isn't true. The car has 300 HP at the crankshaft, and NOT at the rear wheels which is where a Dyno will be measuring it at. Our Marauders out of the factory all have 300 HP, and dyno at 240 HP to the rear wheels. My point is, that with 400 HP at the wheels that my Supercharged Marauder has, it's pushing about 475-480 HP at the crankshaft. So you might want to keep that in mind.

Below is a link to a fantastic engine tuning article written by the engine tuner who burns the tunes in all the handheld tuners, and chips that come with the Trilogy supercharger kits. I strongly suggest that anyone who wants to be knowledgeable about supercharging the 4.6L engine in their car read this article. What he explains about the specifics of engine durability and tuning are very accurate, and very important if you don't want to blow up your engine. Also is a link to the Trilogy Motorsports website where you'll also find their number. Keep in mind that they are NOT an aftermarket parts supplier, or speed shop. They are an international engineering company that employs 90 people, and that has worked closely with Ford for years now on various engineering projects. Ford is one of their customers. They are no joke.

If you call them, you can ask for the CEO Jerry Barnes, and if he's availaible,(and he often is) he will be glad to speak with you. He's a great guy who Loves talking about cars. You can tell him "BillyG-man" sent you if you want, since he knows me(although we've never met yet), but it isn't neccessary, and I'm simply a customer of his. Their supercharger kits put repectable power to the wheels of Ford vehicles with otherwise factory stock internals. This is their specialty,and it has been for years now, and nobody is better at it. Than they are, and they have the track record to prove it. Just go on the Marauder board if you don't believe that. they have their own forum there. (go to www.mercurymarauder.net ). BTW, these Trilogy Motorsports supercharger kits I'm speaking of are intercooled, and come with absolutley everything that's needed right down to the two belts(one for the accessory drives, and one for the supercharger). these kits are absolutely complete and "turn-key". I'm a very satisfied customer, and you can see the quartermile numbers that I've consistently turned on 93 octane pump gas with this big 4,200 LB tank of a car.

Read this tuning article. it's a MUST read:

http://www.alternativeauto.com/tuning/tuning_philosophy.html

http://www.trilogyintl.com/

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
BillyGman said:
I totally disagree with the post above. My 4.6L equipped Marauder has stock non-forged internals, and has been pushing 400 HP to the wheels(with 9.5 PSIof boost) for the last 14,000 miles, and the last 12 months. It's all in the engine tune. If the engine tuner in question goes too lean with the tune in order to get more power out of the engine, then it will be more prone to ping, asnd will eventually destrot pistons, and/or a head gasket despite what pistons you have (forged or cast).

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and it begins right here. The stock pistons, rings, rod bolts, and rods are absolute junk (as is the stock cast crank though it will hold 500ish HP if you want to use it) if someone tells you otherwise you should slap them for lying to you. Head gaskets hardly EVER blow on modulars, and you're running a positive displacement blower with high static compression hypereuctectic pistons :nonono:

There are many other Marauder owners(70 total) on the Marauder board who have the same supercharger as I have in mine, and who also haven't touched the bottom end of their engines, and the engines are all holding up well. The one exception to that rule is a guy in Texas who enetered his Marauder in some type of roadcourse race that was about 3.5 hours long!!! He blew his engine, but I think that with a three hour long pounding like his car endured, many factory stock engines could've bit the dust too.There are also rumors that he tampered with the engine tune that came with the supercharger.

None of them have run for 50k miles, or as the original poster indicated a time period of 6-7 years of use, at this point. You're simply counting your chickens before they're hatched. At some point one of the above listed parts will fail and you'll learn like all the rest.
Modulars have been around for over 10 years, we already know the weak points in OEM motors, evidently the Marauder guys have forgotten that or think they're going to reinvent the wheel :shrug:

Many of us other supercharged Marauder guys take our cars to the drag strip, and drive them real hard on the street too, and our engines have held up just fine.My car is my daily driver, and gets me back and forth to work as well as raced at the dragstrip. My friend John's supercharged Marauder now has over 50,000 miles on it, and the engine is just fine, and putting down 460 HP to the wheels. But all of us have conservative engine tunes which is included in with this supercharger kit that we all have in the chip that it comes with. And that is the required ingredient to a supercharged engine's longevity. A SAFE engine tune. This supercharger kit that I'm talking about is offered by Trilogy Motorsports, and thay now are making a supercharger kit for the 2005 Mustang GT.

So he's had the blower on for 50k or the car has 50k on it now with the blower (in which case, how many miles has the blower been on)? Even so, one example does not prove anything. Brian Bradford is still running the stock bottom end in his 98 Cobra with 604rwhp, however, I wouldn't recommend his combo to anyone--neither will he.

I'd also like to point out that you've mentioned that your Mustang would Dyno at 300 HP, and that isn't true. The car has 300 HP at the crankshaft, and NOT at the rear wheels which is where a Dyno will be measuring it at. Our Marauders out of the factory all have 300 HP, and dyno at 240 HP to the rear wheels. My point is, that with 400 HP at the wheels that my Supercharged Marauder has, it's pushing about 475-480 HP at the crankshaft. So you might want to keep that in mind.

With the mods already performed to his '05 GT he will be at or very close to 300rwhp, not flywheel. You also have more driveline loss than the stick equipped 05, making your citation irrelevant. :bored:
Just because one or two guys "can" doesn't mean everyone "should". Not trying to be an ass, but you don't know enough about modular motors to be giving advice about them just yet. :poke:

Last edited:

NinoAvila

Established Member
Interesting...

Great comments. I hope to have more. I'd love to hear from more of you out there, particularly those who have any experience with SC/Turbos on regular GT's. We all know SVT's are made to handle the extra power from the factory. Just want to know how much my '05 can handle.

I have seen some claims (ATI ProCharger) that say they're made to work with "stock" setups (ie non forged?).

FYI: I said I think my car would tune at or around 300hp because of the mods I have. I know that most 05's dyno at the 270 range bone stock.

-N

Fourcam330

Established Member
NinoAvila said:
Great comments. I hope to have more. I'd love to hear from more of you out there, particularly those who have any experience with SC/Turbos on regular GT's. We all know SVT's are made to handle the extra power from the factory. Just want to know how much my '05 can handle.

I have seen some claims (ATI ProCharger) that say they're made to work with "stock" setups (ie non forged?).

FYI: I said I think my car would tune at or around 300hp because of the mods I have. I know that most 05's dyno at the 270 range bone stock.

-N

Only the 03/04s have forged rods/pistons, all previous year SVT Cobras had PM rods/hypereucs. The 03/04 Zollner pistons have a piss poor teflon coating and weak side skirts that can only take 550rwhp reliably before collapsing.
Regardless of what the blower companies claim (remember, they're trying to sell blowers so why alienate their largest target audience?) if you want it to last, you're going to need forged internals and a good tune.

Last edited:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Fourcam, you come across as some expert, but you are the one talking out of your other end. There has been a Marauder represented on the Marauder board that has blown a head gasket which is supercharged with another company's supercharger kit. So you're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about mr. expert. And please show me where in my post did I ever say that the stock 4.6L engine can withstand 500+ RWHP as you've implied that I said. Read my post again as well as the first one in this thread . Okay? He said that he was looking for 400+ HP, and NOT 500+ HP like you're talking about.

So stop twisting your story around in order to have to avoid admitting that your original statements weren't completely true. Get off the ego trip, okay? you said that you're not being an "ass" uh? well what are you being then with that last reply of yours? I'm done with this thread, because I didn't come here to baby sit for little boys like you. If the person who started this thread wants some more real info about what's possible for his car instead of ego boosting wise cracks from you, then he can feel welcome to send me a PM through this board, or through the Marauder board. ( www.mercurymarauder.net )
Now run along to mommy little boy.

Fourcam330

Established Member
BillyGman said:
Fourcam, you come across as some expert, but you are the one talking out of your other end. There has been a Marauder represented on the Marauder board that has blown a head gasket which is supercharged with another company's supercharger kit. So you're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about mr. expert. And please show me where in my post did I ever say that the stock 4.6L engine can withstand 500+ RWHP as you've implied that I said. Read my post again as well as the first one in this thread . Okay? He said that he was looking for 400+ HP, and NOT 500+ HP like you're talking about.

Holy shit, another Darwin Award nominee... As evidenced by the fact you again cite one instance in which a head gasket blew, ONE. Do you have any idea how many hundreds/thousands of stock pistons, rods, rod bolts, rings have failed on stock longblock supercharged 4.6 4v motors--some as low as 350rwhp as rpm plays a factor as well--in the past 10 years? :bash:
The sad truth is that the Marauder contingent represents a new breed of virgin morons ripe for the plucking, thanks in large part to public misinformation like this. Way to contribute to the cause :rockon:
Reread his original post Shooter, he said he would be happy with anything over 400HP, last time I checked 500, 600, and 700 were still greater than 400 :dw:

So stop twisting your story around in order to have to avoid admitting that your original statements weren't completely true. Get off the ego trip, okay? you said that you're not being an "ass" uh? well what are you being then with that last reply of yours? I'm done with this thread, because I didn't come here to baby sit for little boys like you. If the person who started this thread wants some more real info about what's possible for his car instead of ego boosting wise cracks from you, then he can feel welcome to send me a PM through this board, or through the Marauder board. ( www.mercurymarauder.net )
Now run along to mommy little boy.

Have a nice day, and remember "I told you so" when your stocker takes a dump. Asshats like you distort the facts for everyone. For the good of the board, next time you attempt to answer a "tech" question, take a step back, a few deep breaths, and open a nice big jar of STFU :bored: "BillyGMan"? An aircraft mechanic that thinks he's a gangster, how mature :rollseyes ROFL

Last edited:

NinoAvila

Established Member
Thanks...

Thank you for the insight. Anyone else have anything else to contribute?

Basic breakdown:
Do I need to forge my internals to get to the 400-425hp range?
Which type of blower will get me there thats reliable and not prohibitively expensive? (around 4-5k)

-N

blk96SVT

Established Member
NinoAvila said:

Basic breakdown:
Which type of blower will get me there thats reliable and not prohibitively expensive? (around 4-5k)

-N

If you have about 8 grand or so you would be set. You could purchase a Vortech kit and then have the engine rebuilt at the same time and save you in the long run. I have a Novi 2000 on my 96 Cobra and it lasted not even a week with the stock internals. Its being rebuilt now and should be dyno'd today. You can add a supercharger to your 05 with no internal work and maybe get a couple of easy driving years out of it, or you could get a week like I did. Its a gamble. If I had to do it over again I would have saved more money and built the bottom end first then throw the Novi on. Check out either Vortech or Paxtons websites for more info on their kits for your car. Good luck

Fourcam330- I thought Brians engine finally went? He has a 98 yellow coupe correct?!?!? From Alabama?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
NinoAvila said:

Basic breakdown:

-N

You need to be thinking about spending a bit more money that $4-5k to do it right.

You however with a safe tune, would be able to be in the 400hp range.

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
I would look at the ATI kit. Best bang for the buck. This car is a DD not a true race car. With a safe tune it should be fine. But everybody else has said already anything can happen. It might last acouple days or it could last years.........

Fourcam330

Established Member
blk96SVT said:
Fourcam330- I thought Brians engine finally went? He has a 98 yellow coupe correct?!?!? From Alabama?

Actually I'm not sure. I haven't talked to Brian in a few months. I know he was working on his replacement motor while the stocker was still alive, but he may have already blown it as you suggest. We all knew it was going to happen, he prolonged the inevitable for a long time--his car was never daily driven.

Fourcam330

Established Member
NinoAvila said:

Basic breakdown:

-N

You're looking at 4-5 grand alone in a forged shortblock with install, not even counting the blower. You have two options at this point. Slap on a blower and replace the SB when it blows, or forge it from the start and forget about it. As previously stated you're going to spend 8-9k when all is said and done when doing it correctly.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Chris, were you running a blower on your 92 SHO? Nice #s.

Yes I was thanks, couldnt get it tuned correctly. Went through a $3k motor in an hour at one point :(

12psi pulley, nasty nasty raw power. Too bad i never really enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Chris Benvie said:
Yes I was thanks, couldnt get it tuned correctly. Went through a $3k motor in an hour at one point :(

12psi pulley, nasty nasty raw power. Too bad i never really enjoyed it.

Talk about a sleeper, LOL. Sorry to hear you never got the chance to really enjoy it.

mike01svt

Established Member
I would get a vortech kit. simply because it is not a self contained unit. It will provide you with enough power i'm sure. I am tuning my car with SCT software and with 9psi i put down the numbers in my sig.. that was with a crappy tune as well. I hope for 500RWHP with 9psi just to see if i can. But then i will back down to roughly 470 until my block is done getting built. I do suggest you save for a new block though. My motor has 16k on the stock block with blower and 26k total. But it doesnt mean that the stock block is safe enough to rag on it all the time. Because it's only a matter of time before it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread