Motor Trend Artical

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
Page 16 of this months mag said that the SVT Cobra is gone and will be replaced with the Shelby Cobra. I dont know what I think of this or if it is true or not.

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Hmmm. This post raises many questions. The primary one is how damn hard is it to spell article?

Last edited:

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Wrong.

4ff6.jpg

"2007 SVT Cobra to be unvieled at the Detroit Auto Show starting March 25

SVT Still Kicking, Ford Says

"With no cars currently on the market, there’ve been plenty of rumors working their way through the industry grapevine about the future of Ford Motor Co.’s high-performance SVT unit. But “reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated,” the head of the brand-within-a-brand told TheCarConnection.com, lifting a turn-of-phrase from Mark Twain. “We’d hate to give up on the brand equity we’ve established over the last 10 years,” insisted Hau Thai-Tang, the new boss of SVT, who until recently led the development of the new, retro-styled Mustang. An SVT version of the Mustang will be unveiled at the upcoming New York Auto Show, said Thai-Tang, and though he wouldn’t confirm production plans, sources told TCC it’s a bit more than a year away. Several other possible SVT models are under consideration, with an emphasis on adding a more mainstream product, such as a high-performance Fusion sedan.

Details:

- 465HP, 6-speed manual running in the low 12's with a trap speed of 120mph!

- You choose the rear suspension set up, either IRS or Solid Rear Axle with the IRS apparently pulling over 1.0g in the corners...

- The Price... in and around 30k.

Motor: 5.4 Supercharged, 3 valve heads (with HUGE valves), forged internals similar to the 4.6 (Crank, rods, etc), modestly rated (under rated actually) ~465 HP/495 lb ft Torque, using a twin screw S/C similar to that on the Ford GT but pullied differently, hence the lower HP. This motor was supposedly made official (in house only) just in the last few days.

Transmissions: 6 speed manuals standard with a heavy duty 5 speed auto (the tranny used on the Ford Superduty but programmed/geared differently) as an option in late '07 or the '08 M/Y.

Suspensions: A re-engineered, heavy duty IRS will be an option with a modified 3 link/panhard bar-live axle setup as the standard rear axle. SVT will be going for the Road Race buyer as well as the straight line racer with both axles optional. However, the Axle options are not set in stone as of the moment but look highly likely to be approved. The Cobra will be lowered about 1.5" from a stock GT.

Bodywork: The retro theme will continue with a serious nod to the '67 Shelby. The fenders may be flared more than the standard '05 but that is not for certain as of now. The ducktail will be factory installed. Also, no convertible is planned for now but no reason was given other than concerns over chassis reliability due to the torque volume."

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
f_rice said:
Hmmm. This post raises many questions. The primary is how damn hard is it to spell article?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Rotten bastard, you beat me to it!!! There isn't going to be an 05 cobra so lets all wait til 06 to start being concerned :thumbsup:

03CobraBro

Established Member
f_rice said:
Hmmm. This post raises many questions. The primary one is how damn hard is it to spell article?

I'd say the runner up question would have to be why this thread was created in the 'Road Side Pub' and not under the '07 Cobra' section.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Canoodler said:
- 465HP, 6-speed manual running in the low 12's with a trap speed of 120mph!

- You choose the rear suspension set up, either IRS or Solid Rear Axle with the IRS apparently pulling over 1.0g in the corners...

- The Price... in and around 30k.

Motor: 5.4 Supercharged, 3 valve heads (with HUGE valves), forged internals similar to the 4.6 (Crank, rods, etc), modestly rated (under rated actually) ~465 HP/495 lb ft Torque, using a twin screw S/C similar to that on the Ford GT but pullied differently, hence the lower HP. This motor was supposedly made official (in house only) just in the last few days.

If this is true then that's awesome. They will definitely be heading in the right direction.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
I just opened up my Motor Trend on the bed, almost nut in my pants, then immediately headed here to post it up. 550 hp, SOLID AXLE!!!! Supposed weight is under 3500 pounds, and it's using the GT's motor. According to Motor Trend, not only will the Cobra keep up with the GT performance-wise, but it's about a CAI away from a Z06!! BTW, It's the Shelby Mustang Cobra.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Canoodler said:

First of all. That is simply a photochopped pic of a mustang of what some guy thinks the new cobra SHOULD look like. It's not an actual pic.

I, too, have heard from a Ford Executive at our dealership that it was possible that the name cobra will be given exclusively to the V-10 powered Cobra that Ford made in respects to the 427 Cobra of the past.

As for the SVT Cobra, they said it would either be called an SVT mustang, or a Mustang S.

That's all I know. I posted this a long time ago too so it's not something I pulled out of my ass.

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
I would like to know THE DBK's take on the new article by Motortrend, he seems to know whats really going to happen.

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
CobraZb said:
Page 16 of this months mag said that the SVT Cobra is gone and will be replaced with the Shelby Cobra. I dont know what I think of this or if it is true or not.
:bs:

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
I will admit I don't know 2/5th's of 3/8th's about what is or isn't going to happen with the future model but with the amount of rumour flying around would it be a possibility that both a Mustang Cobra with 450hp @ $35K and a Shelby Cobra with 550hp @ $55K be produced??

I know everyone keeps on about "they won't put the GT motor in it" but other manufacturers have done it and it hasn't killed their top of the line models - Mercedes is a good example "the CLK DTM AMG would be quicker than the SLR McLaren if it were not limited".

You gotta remember that the GT was only ever going to be a limited run vehicle which stops production in 2007 (I think?) so putting the same engine in a limited edition "Shelby Mustang" for Z06 $$$ isn't out of the question...

Users who are viewing this thread