BAP/Wiring Upgrade Installation Directions

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
There still appears to be some general confusion on installation of the Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump when in conjunction with the Lethal Performance wiring upgrade. Below are step-by-step instructions for this install.

2003/2004 MUSTANG COBRA
BAP and Wiring Upgrade Step-by-Step Instructions
VERIFY COLOR OF WIRE ON PLUG WITH PIN NUMBERS ON RELAY

1) Remove driver’s side and rear felt insulation panels from inside the truck area.

2) Decide on location in the trunk for mounting of BAP, Boost Controller, and Wiring Upgrade Adapter Plug, but do not mount them at this time. (The BAP should be located within 8" or so of the FPDM and the Adapter Plug is commonly attached to the lower mounting bolt of the FPDM. Some like to mount the Boost Controller inside the cabin, but the majority locate it in the trunk. Your choice.)

Shanescar001.jpg

Example of Common Mounting Points for BAP, Boost Controller, & Adapter Plug

Alternative mounting point for BAP, especially suited for Convertibles, (Thanks to 03CobraVertGrey (Jeremy) for the information and pic!

3) On a suitable work area, attach the ring terminal lugs to the BAP grounding wire (Black) and the Wiring Upgrade Adapter Plug grounding (Blue or White) wire (PIN 85).

4) In the same work area, solder and shrink wrap the red 30amp fused wire from the BAP to the (Black or Blue) wire from the Wiring Upgrade Adapter Plug (PIN 30).

5) To have your BAP run full time, (the most common application), take the red and black wires which are inside of the BAP’s other Black wire and solder and shrink wrap them together. This wire is approximately 16' long and you can cut this to 6-8" before soldering.

6) Disconnect negative terminal at battery.

7) In the trunk of your Terminator, disconnect the harness plug that goes into the FPDM and peel back the tape and loom on the harness for approximately 8". Locate the Green/Yellow wire in the harness and cut this wire so that you have equal length of it on both ends. (This is for attaching the BAP before the FPDM! To attach it after the FPDM, you will need to locate and cut the Brown/Pink wire.)

JPicture001copy.jpg

Fuel Pump Driver Module & Harness

8) Mount the BAP, Boost Controller, and Wiring Upgrade Adapter Plug to the locations you decided upon in Step #1.

9) Solder/shrink wrap the the following wires:
- Connect the (Yellow or Black) wire (PIN 86) from the Wiring Upgrade Adapter Plug to the Green/Yellow wire from the FPDM wire harness.
-Connect the Non-fused Red wire form the BAP to the Green/Yellow wire from the connector side of the FPDM..

10) Reconnect the harness plug that goes into the FPDM

11) Attach the BAP grounding wire (Black) and the Wiring Upgrade Adapter Plug grounding (Blue or White) wire (PIN 85) to the location where the FPDM is grounded.

PePicture019copy.jpg

BAP & Wiring Upgrade Grounding Location

12) Time to run the 8 awg wire from the battery to the trunk:

-Attach the ring terminal lug to an end of the Red 8 awg wire included in your upgrade kit.

HPicture026copy.jpg

Under Hood Power Distribution Box Terminal​

-Decide on suitable location (within 12-16" of power distribution block on fuse box) for the 40 amp AGU fuse holder.

IPicture022copy.jpg

1) 40 amp AGU Fuse Holder & 2) Running theRed 8 awg wire through the firewall – Option 2

-Cut the red 8 awg wire the correct length to reach the fuse holder location and attach the installed ring lug to the terminal.

-Attach the red 8 awg wire to the other side of the 40 amp AGU fuse holder.

-Mount the 40 amp AGU fuse holder in the desired location that you’ve previously selected.

-Here are different 2 procedures that can be utilized for running the red 8 awg wire through the firewall. (see above picture for Option #2)

Option 1: Using a big screwdriver, gently work the top edge of the 2" diameter rubber grommet on the firewall outwards until you have enough room to feed the red 8-awg wire through to the interior. From under the dash, carefully pull the wire through to the interior. Wrap several layers of electricians tape around the red 8-awg wires that is in contact with the firewall sheet metal for extra protection for the wire insulation. Reinstall the rubber grommet onto the firewall.

Option 2: Using a very sharp razor blade, carefully put a cut into the grommet on the topside. Be carefully not to go too deep and cut any of the factory wires. Use a metal coat hanger and tape the red 8-awg wire to it. Make sure you use enough tape so that when you pull the coat hanger from inside the car through the grommets you do not pull the coat hanger out of the tape. You can use WD-40 or a silicone spray lubricant on the grommet and electricians tape to help in this process.

-Install wire loom over all exposed 8awg wire in the engine compartment.

-Run the wire behind the driver’s side kick panel and underneath the door sill.

-Remove the rear seat by pulling it up slightly and reaching in and pressing in the two clips on either side of the transmission tunnel.

-Run the Red 8 awg into the trunk and to a location where it can be spliced with the (White or Yellow) wire from the Wiring Upgrade Adapter Plug (PIN 87). Solder and shrink wrap these two wires.

13) Use wire ties and electricians tape to secure all the wires involved in the install process.

14) Replace the 20 amp mini-fuse in Slot #14 in the fuse box under the hood (right behind the battery), with the 30 amp mini-fuse supplied with the BAP kit.

15) Reconnect negative terminal at battery.

Notes: -These directions are intended for installation of the 40 amp BAP kit which is the most commonly used for the 03/04 Cobra.

-The Red wire in the Wiring Upgrade Adapter Plug is NOT used. This is also the center plug on the relay so there is no need for it.

-The initial setting of your BAP Boost Controller can be anywhere from 25 to 30%, but to properly determine what you should set it at, you should datalog the car and pumps to indicate the proper setting for your application.

-If you would like the ability to have the BAP turn on and off based on boost pressure, eliminate Step #5 and wire the appropriate Hobbs switch to the red and black wires which are inside of the BAP black wire.

*Special thanks goes to BLK_03 & sb03cobra from modularfords.com for the installation pictures and to TRBO VNM for assisting in the writeup!

Last edited:

Two Snakes

Putting on the foil
Established Member
Thanks again Dwight! Pretty soon I will need to start shipping beer east to you and west to Sambandit in return for all the assistance/advice. :beer:

roushstage2

Established Member
I am in the process of installing mine as I speak. I have one simple question. Why do I need to connect the large black wire from the upgrade kit to the fuse holder on one end, and the red wire running from the trunk to the other end of the fuse holder? Can't I just use the large red wire on both sides of the fuse holder (from trunk to fuse holder, and from fuse holder to dist. block)?
Thanks for your help.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
roushstage2 said:
I am in the process of installing mine as I speak. I have one simple question. Why do I need to connect the large black wire from the upgrade kit to the fuse holder on one end, and the red wire running from the trunk to the other end of the fuse holder? Can't I just use the large red wire on both sides of the fuse holder (from trunk to fuse holder, and from fuse holder to dist. block)?
Thanks for your help.
Yes, you can use a piece of the red 8 awg wire if you like. Either one would give you the same results. I just wanted to save as much of the red wire as I could for the install to trunk and ended up with about 3' left.

roushstage2

Established Member
IronTerp said:
Yes, you can use a piece of the red 8 awg wire if you like. Either one would give you the same results. I just wanted to save as much of the red wire as I could for the install to trunk and ended up with about 3' left.

Sounds good, :banana: :pepper: I installed the wire backwards (from the trunk to the engine) so I have about 4ft of red wire in my engine compartment.

Thanks agian for your help. :thumbsup:

Silverboost

Established Member
you should also put in there what color wire is for what pin....I had to make my own kit since I didn't feel like waiting to order one and I couldn't find a relay with a plug...this might help people who are also color blind (hey you never know)...great instructions though...it's always nice when someone takes the time to clear up these questions..

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Bad ass write-up man. It looks like I did it correctly. But I didn't use the black wire, I had enough of the red power wire to go from the batter to the trunk (with the fuse holder installed). And I still had about 2 feet to spare. Good job. But I need to go back through and solder everything. I skipped that. I just used crimp sleeves (butt connectors).

-Jeff

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread