CWD

Established Member
hpim0775.jpg

hpim0776.jpg

Parts from Autozone; Campbell Hausfeld #MP5138...$11.99
#MP3314 3/8" hose repair kit...............................$ 3.99
#MP3207 3/8" hose end......................................$ 1.99
3' of 3/8" fuel line hose 1.18 a foot.......................$ 3.54
You'll need 3 black tie straps and some teflon tape which I already had.
Put tape on threads of two 3/8" ends and screw into filter. Check air flow arrow and mount as pictured with two tie straps. I put a piece of doublesided tape between unit and car body for a buffer. Undo hose from driver's side vent, take off large rubber adaptor, slide on new hose with clamp from repair kit, tighten and snap back into valve cover. Run other end to filter and slip it on, no clamp needed, inlet side. Attach the new hose to outlet side of filter and run to hose coming from supercharger back. Splice both hoses together using the brass fitting from the repair kit. Use both remaining clamps on this connection. Be sure to run the middle joint up into the factory hose side and clamp..will fit perfectly. I used the 3rd tie strap to anchor the line along the firewall nice and straight. Thats it! Took 30min to do! Just trying to help. Later Charles :coolman:

CWD

Established Member
Mod is designed to....

jcalcian said:
What is this mod for?

Thanks,

Jim
Extract oil from the vent line before it enters the Supercharger. When you remove the throttle body you'll see oil in the port where this crankcase line enters the Supercharger. Not something most feel comfortable with for obvious reasons. Filter catches anything in the crankcase vent other than air keeeping the oil, etc. out. There are aftermarket companies that sell this mod. Steeda sell for $59.95 plus S/H! Picture of theirs below. Hope this helps.
5553710150.jpg

WDW MKR

Established Member
Great write up! Just be aware that those filter are not rated for synthetic. There have already been cases of collapsing the filter and restricting flow. The best thing to do is run the same or larger containment w/out a filter. The effective "wide spot" in the line will provide enough pressure drop to remove the bulk of the entrained liquid.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
Great write up! Just be aware that those filter are not rated for synthetic. There have already been cases of collapsing the filter and restricting flow. The best thing to do is run the same or larger containment w/out a filter. The effective "wide spot" in the line will provide enough pressure drop to remove the bulk of the entrained liquid.

Really?

CWD

Established Member
Unit has a 5 micron replacable filter

:shrug: I'll keep an eye on it, so far all is well and I am running 5-30 Mobile Syn. oil. Is easy to remove filter and use the housing only if you have to. Filter is pretty stout rated at 150psi, air flow 24.8 SCFM. We'll see...What filters are the other units using such as the Steeda unit? Curious..Thanks :coolman:

Romans8:28

Established Member
CWD said:
:shrug: I'll keep an eye on it, so far all is well and I am running 5-30 Mobile Syn. oil. Is easy to remove filter and use the housing only if you have to. Filter is pretty stout rated at 150psi, air flow 24.8 SCFM. We'll see...What filters are the other units using such as the Steeda unit? Curious..Thanks :coolman:

I have had the exact same setup since I first bought my car.........

remove the filter and you will catch more oil ;)

WDW MKR

Established Member
fusion_ta66 said:
What does 'rated for synthetic' mean???

The filter media is not compatible with the chemical make-up of synthetic oils. The oils can/will break down the filter and deteriorate it to the point of plugging the line.

CWD

Established Member
What filter media do the Mfg's. use?

WDW MKR said:
The filter media is not compatible with the chemical make-up of synthetic oils. The oils can/will break down the filter and deteriorate it to the point of plugging the line.
Aftermarket Mfg's sell this unit/ Steeda etc. what do they use and or do they disclaim use with synthetic oils?

Romans8:28

Established Member
The aftermarket "official" catch cans that I am familar with do not have any sort of filter in them. They are just larger vessels that will hold more oil compared to the units pictured in this thread.

All a catch can needs to be is some sort of container placed in line. The oil will drop out to the bottom. However the vapor passing on to the intake is still oil laden. At least the gross/liquid oil is captured.

WDW MKR

Established Member
The Steeda unit looks exactly like the Husky and CH units that you can buys at Lowe's or Home Depot. I have no facts to back that up, and Steeda certainly won't tell you if that's the case. It's just better to use a larger catch can that has no filter in it. They work better and you need not worry about media compatability.

adamb258

Established Member
could you simply remove the filter from it and use it that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread